+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, 2x hyper-v plus switch plus san in Technical; Hi guys, we've just had our hardware arrive for our new hyper-v environment, I was just wondering if people could ...

Thank Post

2x hyper-v plus switch plus san

Hi guys, we've just had our hardware arrive for our new hyper-v environment, I was just wondering if people could check over what i'm going to do- and make any suggestions - not relating to the vm's themselves but to the actual configuration of hyper-v the servers, san and switches

Servers:
    2 x Dell Poweredge R610 - 2 x x5650 processor (6 cores each - 2.66ghz)
    32gb ram (ddr3 1333mhz
    2x 4port nics totalling 8ports one broadcom one intel
    redun power
    2 mirrored drives (not that important)

SAN Switch
    D-link DGS-3024

SAN
    Dell MD3200i - dual controllers (4ports per controller) 12x 450gb 15k drives

---------------------------------------------------

Network linking

each server will have 4 ports to the san switch and 4 ports to the main network (link aggr)
    the san will have all 8 ports to the san switch (link aggr)

the SAN environment will operate on a different ip range to our main network, so we will have 172.16.*.*(main network) and 172.15.*.* (SAN Network)

Server OS

have installed Server 2008R2 with Hyper-V installed as a role on both machines which will connect to an ISCSI LUN to store VM's. We will also be using SCVMM to manage this environment.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank Post
    It really depends on if you intend to use failover clustering. If you are you might need a small rethink.

We use failover clustering and use 10 ports per production server. The extra two are for heartbeat of failover and hyper-v management.

SCVMM also needs to be part of a domain, which means your hyper-v servers need to be in a domain (member servers at least).

Thank Post
    Spec looks fine, the only thing I would possibly do if you have the budget is change the dlink switch for a Cisco as they allow much more fine tuning of the link aggregation. I'm a big fan of HP Procurve switches, but have really found their limitations on link agg when using for virtualisation. Have tried other switches as well, same sort of problems. A poor performing switch between your SAN and VM hosts can really stuff things up.

Thank Post
    yes, we already run a 2003R2 domain which is gradually going to be moved up to 2k8r2 although domain controllers will stay physical.

also with scvmm, should it be installed onto one of the hyper-v servers or a seperate server? I dont have the documentation with me at the moment as i'm at home, but I guess thats something to consider.

oh and we have reached the ends of our budget having just had to replace our core switch (8+ years old) with a brand new swanky 3com unit 4800g sfp I think.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread