+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Multipoint server setup in Technical; Synack you may have just saved my bacon dude I've been struggling to put together a setup as I was ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Synack you may have just saved my bacon dude I've been struggling to put together a setup as I was plannign on an HP Server but main concern was noise and being able to stuff enough cards into it.

Multipoint 2011 looks interesting no mention of improved usb mass storage handling though.

Ben

Thank Post
    Reading the release notes it does now feature private usb so any usb device plugged into a station hub remains private to that hub

Ben

3. Thanks to plexer from:

tmcd35 (21st October 2010)

Thank Post
    Split screen
    Any MultiPoint Server station monitor that has a resolution greater than 1024x768 can be split into two station screens using the split screen task on the Status tab in MultiPoint Manager. The screen that is present on the monitor at the time that the split occurs moves to the left half of the monitor, and a new station’s screen is created on the right half of the same monitor. The new station screen must be mapped to a keyboard, mouse, and USB hub to complete the creation of the new station. After a station is split, a user can log on to the left station while another user logs on to the right station.
    This feature is useful for reducing cost and space by accommodating more students on a MultiPoint Server system, to allow two students to collaborate together, side-by-side on a project, and to allow a teacher to demonstrate a procedure on one station while a student follows along on the other station.
    So if you buy big monitors you only need half as many

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    So if you buy big monitors you only need half as many

Ben
    IMHO - that's taking things a little too far. I can hear staff/pupil complaints now at the idea of sharing 1 24" TFT between two. It'll need to have some good viewing angles otherwhys the students would have to sit on each other laps!

Thank Post
    Yeah I wasn't really being serious as suggesting you would permanently share a monitor between 2 even the proposed use of it a teacher demonstrating on one half while the student works on the other half is a bit strange as you need to add another hub and k/b & mouse.

If the teacher could split all the screens and demo from their own machine onto all the others that would be cool, using the new grouping of MP hosts is a step towards that I guess.

Ben

Thank Post
    Hi All,

Sorry for stealing the thread some, but I've recently become the IT individual on a middle school campus (grades 6-8) and have been lusting over the cost-effectiveness that Microsoft Multipoint Server would seem to provide. Since our school district is Apple-only (I can't imagine why, except that the school campus is less than 2 miles from Apple Corporate Headquarters) I doubt that I would have much luck with having it implemented, but I may prepare a proposal anyways and see where it goes.

My main question is what kind of performance do you seem to get out of Microsoft Multipoint?

For the most part, the students at this school use productivity or browser-based applications, but would this be a good solution for video editing for example?

From what I've seen, my ideal setup would probably include:
    - motherboard with the AMD 800 series chipset
    - AMD Phenom II x6 CPU, perhaps an overclocked black edition
    - 8GB of DDR3 ram @ 1600mhz
    - 2 HDDs in RAID 0 (the user accounts would probably be domain, so perhaps only a single smaller drive)
    - 3 5000 or 6000 series ATI graphics cards to support 9 monitors
    - powered USB 2.0 hubs for each station with 20" widescreen monitors

My feeling is that a setup similar to that would be able to handle video editing on top of more menial tasks and be useful for the years to come, but again my experience with Multipoint is nonexistent so...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123