+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, ESX4 cannot create datastore in Technical; Bit of a newbie question here. I'm trying to set up a test server using ESX4 and the free client ...

Thank Post

ESX4 cannot create datastore

Bit of a newbie question here. I'm trying to set up a test server using ESX4 and the free client so we can see how virtualised servers will work for us. Installed ESX fine on a server (with a RAID5 array of 500gb)

Only thing is I cannot create a datastore - I can see a VMFS partition that the ESX installed must have created, but cannot use it. Whenever I try to create a datastore on this I get the 'Failed to update the disk partition information' error. Googling this error brings up a load of results but all seem to be manally hacking about the partitions at the command line.

Am I missing something here but this seems to be nightmare to get setup, or is it just becuase I'm using the free version? Theres no options to create partitions during the install so I've got the ESX server and datastore(well if I could get it working) going on the same partition.

Not a good start really, can't even create my first virtual machine!

Thank Post
    I've installed ESX on 9 servers and only seen this once - it was when there was a drive problem (HDD Failure) try without the raid setup... maybe?!?

i have also heard somewhere about the VMware HCL - is your server /RAID array listed otherwise there can be issues with installs

sorry i cant be of more help

Thank Post
    Its a brand new HP server - drives are ok and its on the HCL. I tried following the manual partition instructions and seem to have created a partition now - but now I cannot delete it! I created it with a 1mb block so the maximum size iis 256gb, I need to take this to 400 so will have to change the block to 2mb or 4mb

Thank Post
    Are you using ESX4 or ESXi4?? I would suggest using ESXi4 as it seems to run on almost anything!!!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Its esxi 4.0 - and since I deleted the raid array, recreated it and reinstalled ESX all is working. Odd as I didn't actually do anything differently this time. (this is probably the 4th or 5th attempt)

Thank Post
    Well one step further forward, but I can't use the HP SmartStart disk to setup a Windows Server on the VM - "Unsupported model - installation not available"

The server is definitely in the Vmware HCL and HPs own compatibility list. Has anyone else setup a VM using HP's SmartStart disks?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenWonder View Post
    Well one step further forward, but I can't use the HP SmartStart disk to setup a Windows Server on the VM - "Unsupported model - installation not available"

The server is definitely in the Vmware HCL and HPs own compatibility list. Has anyone else setup a VM using HP's SmartStart disks?
    It's a VM, it has virtualised hardware (440BX board etc). Just install windows from the normal windows boot CD and then install vmware tools on the guest.

Thank Post
    I can do that - I just thought the smartstart was designed to also do VMs!

Edit: Sorry, just re-read my own post and I sound ungrateful - unintentional!
    Last edited by GoldenWonder; 22nd June 2010 at 03:59 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread