+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, google safesearch and terminal services in Technical; Hope someone out there can give me a simple answer to a problem. I visit a primary school with an ...

Thank Post

google safesearch and terminal services

Hope someone out there can give me a simple answer to a problem. I visit a primary school with an ultrathin client network (soon to be dumped!) My problem relates to searches within google and the application of strict filtering to all children.
    Very simply the kids are researching the Victorians and when they ask questions about her husband they get some lovely images of piercings! A wiki page keeps popping up as their first choice - not very pleasant! My question is how to make sure that the safesearch settings apply to all users and how to stop google showing these links even when safesearch is on. The children have their internet cache cleared when they log off but what else can I do. We are starting to get parent complaints as these are 9 year olds.
    Our standard filtering is provided via our cachepilots so the pages have also been blocked individually but more seem to appear each time we search for Prince Albert (there I said it shiver!!!!!) and even when blocked they come up as a searched choice making a few tempted to try to see what it is about and getting a shock for their trouble.
    Any help would be appreciated but please be aware that I am not skilled in group policy management and can't write scripts. (I know I am useless but my skills are fine to manage CC3/4, Classmaster, Ranger and peer to peer - I never chose thin client without a support contract)

Thank Post
    It's the old problem of innocent phrases with double meanings - could you educate staff/students into searching more effectively and simultaneously block the combination phrase "Prince Albert" + Piercing ? With safesearch turned off on google, if I search for "Queen Victoria" "Prince Albert" rather than just "Prince Albert" I get no iffy results at all for the first few pages. Alternatively, what about blocking Google and only allowing through a filtered/child friendly search engine? If it's all you can do with the filtering you have it would seem like the only option. A quick check on AskKids.com (Ask's child friendly search) for "Prince Albert" doesn't spit out anything dodgy.

Thank Post
    The thin client set up isn't your problem is your web filtering device. It needs an option to turn on safesearch for google. This doesn't matter if the end client is fat/thin/anorexic.

Thank Post
    What are you using as your firewall?

Thank Post
    I've just found this, not sure if it is of any help (I guess it could work if you are using mandatory profiles) ...

Iain.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Iain; 18th June 2010 at 10:23 AM.

6. Thanks to Iain from:

acaunter (7th July 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread