+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Thinstation Help! in Technical; Hi everyone I'm trying to set up ThinStation to point at either our VMWare ESX or any of our RDP ...
    Thank Post

Question Thinstation Help!

Hi everyone

I'm trying to set up ThinStation to point at either our VMWare ESX or any of our RDP servers as a proof of concept but I can't make head nor tail of how to do anything with it

All I want is a 'LiveCD' but ThinStation and I seem to have very different idea of what a LiveCD is - I'm used to Linux LiveCDs where I download an ISO and burn it to disc. I put this in a PC and switch the machine on. It boots from the CD as if I had installed the contents on the hard disk but without making any changes to the installed O/S

This is what I want to do but if this isn't possible (I have no idea how the livecd.exe you can download from their site fits in to my understanding of a LiveCD...) then I would settle for having to install it on a VM as I have VirtualBox which should be ok for it but I can't find any documentation anywhere which discusses tells me how to really do any of this! I have found some bits which say 'modify the build.conf as required for your hardware' but I've also read somewhere that the build.conf isn't really one specific file or something crazy like that!

If anyone knows any resources that can help (or knows what I've misread) then I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

Thank Post
    on thinstation.org, look for the ts-o-matic link, and use the UK one - I seem to remember this is how we started - you get the options to include drivers for any specific hardware.
    Then in the build files, you can specify the server to connect to, etc. The only lines we bothered with were, I believe,
    SESSION_0_TITLE=<TS Server Name>
    SESSION_0_RDESKTOP_SERVER=<IP Address>
    SCREEN_RESOLUTION="1280x1024" - OK for 19", or use "1024x768" for most 15" screens.
    NET_HOSTNAME=nnnTHIN-* - 1st three characters to reflect room, so we can identify them on server.
    NET_DNS1=<IP address>
    NET_DNS2=< ditto >

build, then download from the 'syslinux' tab.

On an existing linux box of some sort, attach a harddrive and follow the instructions to transfer a bootable system onto it.

Transfer disk to target system and boot - once OK, we used clonezilla to capture that state, and make further machines simple to create.

Hope this helps, I'm certainly not an expert, but it got us going ...

I think you can setup samba access to allow remote editting of config files, but we just used a linux usb stick (puppy or ubuntu) and editted them locally whenever necessary.

3. Thanks to tumbleweed from:

pnlrogue1 (17th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks, I'll have a go at that as soon as I can!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread