+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, XenApp + Flash = CPU over use in Technical; I've been watching some of our XenApp servers and am quite shocked by the amount of CPU that flash websites ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries

XenApp + Flash = CPU over use

I've been watching some of our XenApp servers and am quite shocked by the amount of CPU that flash websites use up.

On one, I had 2 users logged in, both using a maths flash game, and the quad core xeon 2.83Ghz processor was hitting 50% utilisation on all cores! On another, the machine simply hit 100% and stayed there when there were about 15 kids logged in.

What is going on? Why is so much of our CPU being eaten by flash??

Thank Post
    You're absolutely right, flash eats up processor power, I think this is why Apple doesn't support it on their iPhone/Pad etc. It is fairly standard to see this intensity across all platforms; Citrix, VMware and Microsoft. Are you using HDX? This should take advantage of the processor power on the client that you are using, thus sparing your quad core Xeons to handle more users.

We recommend 10ZiG Thin Clients as they have a 1.6GHz processor and are HDX Ready, this will essentially render the flash and Video locally on the Thin Client, freeing up as much as possible for your server.

These Thin Clients are also Certified Hardware for VMview View 4 and they have been fine tuned for RDC 7.

3. Thanks to VirtueTechnologies from:

localzuk (13th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VirtueTechnologies View Post
    You're absolutely right, flash eats up processor power, I think this is why Apple doesn't support it on their iPhone/Pad etc. It is fairly standard to see this intensity across all platforms; Citrix, VMware and Microsoft. Are you using HDX? This should take advantage of the processor power on the client that you are using, thus sparing your quad core Xeons to handle more users.

We recommend 10ZiG Thin Clients as they have a 1.6GHz processor and are HDX Ready, this will essentially render the flash and Video locally on the Thin Client, freeing up as much as possible for your server.

These Thin Clients are also Certified Hardware for VMview View 4 and they have been fine tuned for RDC 7.
    Does HDX work on linux clients? I was under the impression it was limited to Windows clients. The machines we've got are HP t5725s running Debian Linux.

Thank Post
    Linux is always some way behind in technical advancements, mainly because Citrix develop their clients for Windows first and then Linux. Citrix have released a Linux HDX client, but the performance is not currently on par with the Windows client. 10ZiG are working closely with Citrix to offer a solution, but I think it is a month or two away. For now if you want the performance and offload benefits of HDX you need a Windows device. But I will let you know as soon as the Linux HDX certified 10ZiG device is available.

6. Thanks to VirtueTechnologies from:

localzuk (14th June 2010)

Thank Post
    This 10Zig product you're promoting and trying to sell on Edugeek is the generic clone product manufactured by Thin Client Provider somewhere deep in Taiwan, and re-badged by several wannabe instant thin client "manufacturers" yeah...?

As a clone manufacturer they don't bring anything new to the party so please stop ramming it down our throats...

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nut-ed View Post
    This 10Zig product you're promoting and trying to sell on Edugeek is the generic clone product manufactured by Thin Client Provider somewhere deep in Taiwan, and re-badged by several wannabe instant thin client "manufacturers" yeah...?

As a clone manufacturer they don't bring anything new to the party so please stop ramming it down our throats...

Thanks
    You will notice that @VirtueTechnologies: is a forum sponsor. That means they have paid to do what they are doing, and as such are entitled to advertise their products! Personally, I find the information they've given useful!!

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Information is good

Touting products not good
    They're a sales company. They sell stuff. They paid for the privilege.

Is any of that unclear?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I've been watching some of our XenApp servers and am quite shocked by the amount of CPU that flash websites use up.

On one, I had 2 users logged in, both using a maths flash game, and the quad core xeon 2.83Ghz processor was hitting 50% utilisation on all cores! On another, the machine simply hit 100% and stayed there when there were about 15 kids logged in.

What is going on? Why is so much of our CPU being eaten by flash??

It's just a nightmare we have several Citrix VM's that can handle 30 users using word, IE and other apps with no problems until they start using Flash websites and the CPU goes through the roof. Offloading onto the client is an 'ok' idea but doesn't work with our Linux clients and it seems to go against the whole idea of thin low power clients.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    It's just a nightmare we have several Citrix VM's that can handle 30 users using word, IE and other apps with no problems until they start using Flash websites and the CPU goes through the roof. Offloading onto the client is an 'ok' idea but doesn't work with our Linux clients and it seems to go against the whole idea of thin low power clients.
    Indeed. It also seems that Citrix have cleverly included their CPU utilisation management features only in Enterprise edition and above, meaning that I can't ensure each user is getting a fair share of the resources either. Kinda sucks really!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,164 Times in 989 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks
    Going out on a limb here. OK, it may be a re-badged generic device, but how do you know it brings nothing to the party? Have you tested it, evaluated it? Many large tier 1 manufacturers have companies such as this producing their products, does that make theirs useless? After all, Apple don't make the iPhone. Why not evaluate it and make your own decision instead of dismissing it. 10ZiG May actually have custom parts in there. Have you looked into this or are just dismissing it out of hand?

Thank Post

Thanks
    Hi Nut-Ed,

Thanks for your comments.

You are correct that 10ZiG Sources some of its Thin Clients from Clientron, like many other Thin Client Venders some of their Thin Clients are produced in Taiwan.

They are very high quality devices and offer our customers a fantastic solution for a good price, the RBT616v for example has a MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) of 13.7 years.

10ZiG Technology (formerly BOSaNOVA) have been in the Thin Client space for 8 years now, in the UK for 5. I'm sure you will agree that the Chinese are experts in creating IT hardware, I certainly am yet to see a European Thin Client manufacturer offer this type of performance with the level of reliability seen from Clientron.

What do 10ZiG bring to the Thin Client party?

10ZiG are essentially an R and D company that focuses its efforts on creating a Thin Client solution that fits into your solutions, 95% of their workforce are Support and R and D based.

They have recently been voted Top Thin Client Vendor across 20 categories on vendorrate, an independent site that does not accept advertising revenue from anyone listed on its site. 10ZiG also came 3rd across every IT Vendor (not just Thin Clients) for 2009.

What 10ZiG bring to the party is solid support and great partnerships with the likes of Citrix, Microsoft, VMware, Quest and so on, this is something that a Chinese based hardware manufacturer cannot do, something that a UK and US based company can. This ensures that 10ZiG's customers receive the Top Notch support and advice that they pride themselves in.

My TV was built in Korea, but its the best I could find. One day the UK will produce Thin Clients to the specs that our technology demands, but I think that day is 15 years away.

10ZiG offer FREE 30 day evaluation units and I would be happy to personally arrange one for you so that you can evaluate the performance and support of this fantastic Thin Client company.

Thanks
    Best Regards
    Zak
    Last edited by VirtueTechnologies; 14th June 2010 at 12:43 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread