+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Cheap, massive, backup x 2 in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Cheap, massive, backup x 2

Iím looking into improving my backup solution. Iím currently backing up from a dedicated backup server (Fujitsu TX200 Dual Xeon 4GB) via a single gigabit Ethernet link. Iím using Vranger 4.2.2 and have 2 repositories. Both repositories are only 2TB in size. I have the internal backup, a single fiber connected SAN, directly (and only) to the backup server. The external Backup, a domestic Dlink device also connected over gigabit Ethernet. The VMs run on 2 hosts via iSCSI from an MSA2312i.

Both repositories are no longer big enough as the VMs backed up and compressed are now bigger than 1.2TB so my backups are now failing because of the temporary doubling of backups.

I was looking at the Iomega STORCENTER IX4-200D NAS SERVER 8TB itís only a £1000 and I could buy 2. I notice it can be used as an iSCSI target so I could enjoy faster backups Am I right in thinking Iíd be limited to a 2 tb iscsi target?

Iíve been greedy with 8 TB (6TB in RAID 5) and could do with less.

Anyhow Iíd really appreciate a backup solution. Iíd like to keep the budget to around 2.5k and need 2 physical backup mediums.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is the 2TB limit that you are worried about in regards to the Vranger software? I see no reason why the device itself would not be able to offer the entire amount of space offered by the drive configuration over iSCSI.

Thank Post
    I thought the 2TB limit was to do with VMware and thus Vranger would be limited to using a 2TB LUN?

Thank Post
    I've not used vRanger, but looking at their webpage it appears to be an addon that installs directly on the ESX host? I'd send visioncore an email / call to confirm. If the backup storage is presented to vranger as a datastore, then you're limited to 2TB. How is it presented and what options do you have?

The limitation doesn't prevent the virtual servers themselves accessing storage presented as greater than 2TB (assuming 2003 SP1 or greater), so, you could mount 6TB via iscsi, format it as a GPT volume and use if for backups.

5. Thanks to pete from:

chazzy2501 (9th April 2010)

Thank Post
    get a esat card Startech 2 Port PCI Express eSATA Controller Adapter Card - Storage controller - 2 Channel - SATA-300 low profile - PCI Express x1 - Ebuyer £22.05inc. vat for you server and get this StarTech 4 Bay 3.5" Hard Drive Enclosure with RAID Hi Speed USB, eSATA and Firewire - Ebuyer £195.91inc. vat

2tb hdd Seagate ST32000542AS 2TB Hard Drive SATAII 5900rpm 32MB Cache - OEM - Ebuyer £109.95inc.vat / aria.co.uk £99.95inc.vat

StarTech.com's S354UFER External SATA RAID Enclosure is a high-performance external RAID storage solution, supporting up to four 3.5" SATA hard drives up to a maximum total combined capacity of 8 TB (2 TB per drive).

The 4-bay RAID enclosure can be connected to the host/source computer through USB, eSATA or FireWire and automatically builds your SATA RAID array based on your selection (Spanning, RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 1+0, RAID 3, and RAID 5 supported), delivering a simple, yet flexible external storage solution.

Designed for convenience, the enclosure features front panel LED indicators that provide RAID information and simple hard drive status and activity monitoring. The enclosure also features a built-in 3-speed 80mm fan with automatic or manual controls that allow you to customize the speed of the fan as necessary, ensuring suitable operating temperatures for optimized drive performance.

7. 2 Thanks to Cools:

chazzy2501 (9th April 2010), SimpleSi (12th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Hi, have you looked at Drobo hardware? Either the DroboPro (1xiSCSI connection) or the DroboProElite (2xiSCSI connections) easy to manage and can take up to 8 disks with single or dual disk redundancy. Also rack mountable when you buy the separate bracket. Will take any size and any make of sata drive with drives able to be swapped out with bigger ones as they become available.

Richard

9. Thanks to richardp from:

chazzy2501 (9th April 2010)

Thank Post
    I doesn't have to connect through iscsi I just believe that it's a faster way to backup. My current backups take 28 hours for the 1.2TB this is far slower than even a 100Mbit connection should manage (let alone my 1000Mbit) but I believe this is a limitation of Ethernet backup through the VMware 4 console. "Cools" thanks for the home grown idea but I'm literally to lazy to make my own solution. "Richardp" I'd love a Drobo I'd forgotten about these guys! I thought the Drobo Pro isn't supported by VMware. I've heard tales of very low performance on the Pro. The elite is wayyy outta my budget as I need two physical devices one internal and one across campus (in case of fire).

Thank Post
    How attached are you to staying with vranger if it can't handle > 2TB?

I'd be tempted to split my data and system backups if it can't. Say keep vranger for bare metal system restores, but use conventional backup tools for the data.

You mention a SAN - I assume the vms run from there? Is it possible to snapshot the running vms using the san and then sync that snapshot to another nas?

Thank Post
    Hi, although I do not use my DroboPro with any sort of virtualization the website does say they have achieved certification for use with VMWARE Data Robotics, Inc.. I cannot comment on the performance when used with VMWARE, I use it with BackupExec 12.5 and 4 bog standard windows 2003 servers. I am happy with the performance especially when I factor in the costs.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    Iím looking into improving my backup solution. Iím currently backing up from a dedicated backup server (Fujitsu TX200 Dual Xeon 4GB) via a single gigabit Ethernet link. Iím using Vranger 4.2.2 and have 2 repositories. Both repositories are only 2TB in size. I have the internal backup, a single fiber connected SAN, directly (and only) to the backup server. The external Backup, a domestic Dlink device also connected over gigabit Ethernet. The VMs run on 2 hosts via iSCSI from an MSA2312i.

Both repositories are no longer big enough as the VMs backed up and compressed are now bigger than 1.2TB so my backups are now failing because of the temporary doubling of backups.

I was looking at the Iomega STORCENTER IX4-200D NAS SERVER 8TB itís only a £1000 and I could buy 2. I notice it can be used as an iSCSI target so I could enjoy faster backups Am I right in thinking Iíd be limited to a 2 tb iscsi target?

Iíve been greedy with 8 TB (6TB in RAID 5) and could do with less.

Anyhow Iíd really appreciate a backup solution. Iíd like to keep the budget to around 2.5k and need 2 physical backup mediums.
    esXpress is suitable for this and will suit your budget as it's pricing package is on a per-host basis rather than per-cpu.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread