+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, ESXi Backups in Technical; Originally Posted by Duke Sorry to hijack this thread a little, but I'm looking at setting up our ESXi backups ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread a little, but I'm looking at setting up our ESXi backups currently. When we fully virtualise it'll be on ESX and I'll get the Backup Exec agent to handle the backups, but for now I just need to get our development ESXi box properly backed up.

Are people generally happy with GhettoVCB? It looks simple enough but are there any major issues to be aware of? The VMs are running from a SAN over NFS, so I'll probably either just back them up to a different share on that SAN and get Backup Exec to grab them via CIFS from there to tape, or I'll connect another iSCSI SAN to the ESXi host and use that for backups. Anyone see any major issues with that?

Many thanks in advance!

Chris
    I've found that if you change the number of backups you want kept before it rolls over the first one, it doesn't keep track of the numbers properly, so you may need to manually delete a few backups if you change the numbers.

The gzip option works, but takes a while.

If you leave a VM with a snapshot on it (naughty) it won't get backed up.

It does work on ESX even in a cluster (although you have to run it on each machine in the cluster - as it will only backup vms running on the box it's running on).

Works well for us though, it's free and I've recovred vms with it without a problem

PS. running our as a cron job and backing up to a NFS server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Well, I think ghettoVCB is finally going to work, tonight will be the first properly scheduled backup so we'll see.

2) The ESXi root filesystem isn't persistent between reboots. This isn't clearly mentioned in the ghettoVCB docs (although crontab resetting is) and the examples show the script being stored in the root user's home folder. This won't work and you need to store all your data in /vmfs/volumes/somewhere.

Chris
    I put my script in the sam location as my backups - ie an actual vm store, rather than on the host itself.
    I found most of the info I needed at a now dead page, but for ghettoVCB newbies there's more info on the ghettoVCB page:
    VMware Communities: ghettoVCB.sh - Free alternative for backing up VM's for ESX(i) 3.5 and 4.0+ - Updated 04/20/2010

Thank Post
    Using VMWare data recovery for our ESX now. It's free for ESX enterprise. So not much use if you are running ESXi (then ghetto is for you).
    It does have de-duplication - which works very well and apparently supports CIFS (haven't tried that).

Chart of versions that licensed for data recovery: http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphe...omparison.html

Data recovery info: http://www.vmware.com/products/data-recovery/
    Last edited by diggory; 6th May 2010 at 11:07 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12