+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, ThinStation AutoConnect to RDP in Technical; Hello, I have gotten the LiveCD.Basic version customized as to how I want it with the .user configuration file and ...

Thank Post

ThinStation AutoConnect to RDP

Hello,

I have gotten the LiveCD.Basic version customized as to how I want it with the .user configuration file and the system boots successfully every time but I was wondering on how to force this connection to always reconnect.

I have it going straight into an RDP session connecting to our terminal server but if I were to hit 'Cancel' on the logon screen, it goes back to TS and asks me if I want to reconnect.

I have changed the Auto start Option as well as the Reconnect_Prompt and it merely asks me if I want to reconnect. I want it to force a reconnection so if the user ever presses 'Cancel' or if they Log Off, it reconnects them and displays the logon screen.

Is there anyway to do this by editing the .user configuration file?

I can only work from a Windows machine and I previously tried building an image from the TS-O-Matic site but it wouldn't ever initialize DHCP.

Please let me know if this is possible, I read in another topic that it was but no one posted on how to do it.

Thanks,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Hi,

we've used thinstation a bit, I recently had it on some old laptops which worked fine in our office, but wouldn't pickup DHCP addresses when out in their classroom. Eventually found it was a spanning tree issue, in that the DHCP client that's part of thinstation was timing out much faster than it does on a windows PC. Went into the relevant switches and dropped most of the spanning tree timer settings down to their minimum values, and we were back in business.

We wouldn't want automatic re-connect, as it can get in a connect/disconnect loop that can end up using significant resources on the server end, especially if somebody has got the ESC key pressed down on the thinstation, for example - it often happens with books, bags, etc. just dumped against the machines.

Hope this is of use.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If by 'asks to reconnect' you mean 'a black screen with a single button saying reconnect' then this, I believe, can't be changed. Leaving it this way reduces the load on the server significantly.

Thank Post

Smile

this can not be changed, i was using this on some laptops both in the office and and for remote workers, untill i found the AXEL thin clients.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    If by 'asks to reconnect' you mean 'a black screen with a single button saying reconnect' then this, I believe, can't be changed. Leaving it this way reduces the load on the server significantly.
    I would be alright with this if it was only a black screen. As it stands right now there is a command terminal in the background as well once it goes to this disconnect - reconnect? screen.

I wouldn't mind if the terminal wasn't there and it asked me to reconnect but I wouldn't want any users to be able to input any commands... whether they are harmless or not.

Thanks for the help thus far, I have also looked in to PXES although I can't find proper documentation to get it auto-boot into RDP. Cult I actually like the most as it autoreconnects and everything BUT the big caveat was that it would never display anything other than 800x600. I have tried it on multiple different machines and never got anything but that resolution even after forcing it to 1024x768 via the "vga=xxxx" command. The BIOS (and even the CULT boot option) itself said that higher resolutions were supported, just never worked.

If anyone knows of any solution that autoboots to RDP, reconnects automatically (or sits at a menu with nothing else shown) please let me know. I would much prefer a CD method so users can just pop in a CD and it just "works" but I have been successful with PuppyLinux + PCTSC if I was to go the HardDrive method.

Thanks,
    Chris

Thank Post

Cool

hi,

i use to have all of these problems too, untill i used the website to build my files and ticked all the drivers for every graphics drivers etc.....

i installed this on a laptop and it boots up in 1024x768 and auto reconnects, the big thing i had was when on a home network it was still looking for a TFTP server and took 25 mins to conenct over a vpn, however i now use AXEL thin clients and everything is fine...

if you want help configuring ThinStation let me know .....

Thank Post
    Philip 1983,

I need some help, i have made the CD from the iso and have a floppy with the config file in the correct path per instructions, but it loads up into a linux os, not directly into a terminal session.

I'm using terminal server on 2003 server, wanting to connect over rdp, it's ip is 10.218.164.7. attached is the config file as it is on the floppy disk. what am i doing wrong?

Edit: found out i've used the desktop not the basic - will try again.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mjs_mjs; 21st January 2010 at 11:21 AM.

Thank Post

Smile

hi there i have not forgotten about this post i will post a config shortly which should work for you.

for the time being go to :: Thinstation - a light, full-featured Linux thin client OS :: and build a new bootable CD and make sure you only have rdesktop ticked , on display drivers make sure all are selcted the same for network drivers etc.... on the last page customise the config file with your IP etc ...

if this does not work then use then copy and past in the config file, which i will post for you shortly.

Thank Post
    Guys, can anyone give me any help with this.

We are using thinstation and have trialed it for a week or so without any problems at all. We got it auto reconnecting via RDP to our RDS 2008 R2 server. Yesterday I licensed the RDS Server giving it 20 Device licenses which it is slowly handing out to the clients initially it gave them temporary licenses. For some reason since licensing clients now connect to the RDS Server when you first boot thin station and then rather than looping like it has done all week it goes to a black screen when it times out after 1 minute the first time. If you then turn it off at the wall and back on it starts over again. Connects once and times out and then black screen as opposed to reconnecting.

Anyone with any ideas?

Thank Post

problem with RDP connection autostart for thinstation 2.2.2d and 2.2.2

Dear Philip,

I am having a problem with RDP Autostart connection with Thinstation 2.2.2d and 2.2.2
    I am trying to resolve this issue since so many days and still not succeed.
    I also tried to generate the ISO image from the website.
    I am using the bootable pendrive instead of CD.

My requirement is very simple. I want the rdesktop to autostart and connect to TS Server. And it should also ask to reconnect to TS Server when log off or cancel from the TS Server.
    My DHCP server is on and it is working for my Thinstsation.

I would be much happier if you could guide me how to configure the config file or pls send me the config file.

Pls help

thanks in avdance....
    Balaram

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread