+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Thin Client Netbooks in Technical; Just wondering if anyone is using anything like the wireless netbooks in the link below or anything similar. Wireless Mobile ...
    Thank Post

Thin Client Netbooks

Just wondering if anyone is using anything like the wireless netbooks in the link below or anything similar.

Wireless Mobile Thin Clients - AT Labs Inc

Thank Post
    I breifly looked into mobile thin clients but soon found them to be ridiculously expensive. In the end I settled on bog standard XP Pro laptops that auto-login to present the user with an icon that initiates the ICA connection.

EDIT: BTW, General Dynamics make some nice looking ones if your still interested... plus, as a bonus, they are called Tadpoles!
    Last edited by Ric_; 6th January 2010 at 05:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Yeh I've seen the price of most thin client laptops, the tadpoles look interesting but still probably too expensive.

I did come accross this which looks like it might solve my problems with XP Home if it does I can remove steadystate.

Download ThinXP 1.0 GPL

Thank Post
    Aww ThinXP seemed excellent in almost every way. XP Home booted and then loaded the Citrix client as the shell so no desktop or anything to fiddle with just like a CE client. Then I realised that the laptop function keys wouldn't work so a user couldn't control volume of screen brightness. Damn there's always a stumbling block

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Yeh I've seen the price of most thin client laptops, the tadpoles look interesting but still probably too expensive.

I did come accross this which looks like it might solve my problems with XP Home if it does I can remove steadystate.

Download ThinXP 1.0 GPL
    The tadpoles are Sun Ray in a notebook/netbook form. They do 8" and 10" versions. They ARE reassuringly expensive, but very good.

Thank Post
    HP had a go at something similar - HP 4410t Mobile Thin Client Small & Medium Business
    I don't really see this technology lifting off (at least as a single use device) for quite a while (if ever) so long as people can still use cheaper (and lighter) netbooks for the same reason.
    All the same I can see the security benefits but does it better than using the greater versions of Windows 7 with Bit Locker?

Thank Post
    Now i've got ThinXP working on XP Home I think i'll just be using basic netbooks now.

Thank Post
    got a pile of wyse netbooks in my office, would not have them if someone pay me to take them again if i am honest, screens are poor and break easily, fail to charge, battery packs come out too easily and then the plastic clips get damaged so you cant keep the battery in.

i would agree with the others go with something more main stream and load a auto logon and citrix client on the desktop.

oh and spares are like rocking horse poo to get hold of, was quotoed over £400+ for a new screen.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We had one of the Tadpoles for a wee while, and erm i have to say they are amazing! with a few seconds i was connected to my VDI session over the wireless!! no messing around

Great Stuff!

Thank Post
    We often get asked if we make laptop thin clients - but as most of the posts above say, this is not really a viable thin client market today, mainly down the manufacturing volumes/costs.

Realistically the upper price ceiling is the cost of a low end Windows laptop/notebook, and this is too low for (it seems) for anyone to produce a viable competing laptop thin client.

Desktop thin clients take benefit from low cost PC monitors/keyboards/mice - a laptop thin client does not, so their cost seems disproportionately high

Also, for a desktop TC - the TC can in many cases claim to be equivalent to a PC as far as the user is concerned, whereas a laptop TC can't claim to be equivalent to laptop PC, (step out of wifi range and the laptop TC is a brick).

As PC laptops have a cost benefit and useful extra functionality it is going to be hard for a thin client to provide a better solution for most cases for the forseeable future....

Of course there will be cases where the extra cost of a laptop TC is justified, but this is a niche in the wider thin client market.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread