+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Ubuntu on ESXi Networking in Technical; We've just installed our ESXi server, and first port of call was to move the Zimbra server over. However, the ...

Thank Post

Ubuntu on ESXi Networking

We've just installed our ESXi server, and first port of call was to move the Zimbra server over. However, the network doesn't seem to be getting picked up within Ubuntu.

Any ideas? I'm sure some of you have done this. BTW, it wasn't a physical box - it used to be a VMWare Server machine that I have just converted to ESXi

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    We've just installed our ESXi server, and first port of call was to move the Zimbra server over. However, the network doesn't seem to be getting picked up within Ubuntu.

Any ideas? I'm sure some of you have done this. BTW, it wasn't a physical box - it used to be a VMWare Server machine that I have just converted to ESXi
    Make sure you pick E1000 for the network card type, the others need vmware tools installed before they will work.

Thank Post
    Just tried this and didn't work.

I've just converted a Windows machine and this worked as soon as I powered it on the first time, which tells me I have the networking set up correctly in ESXi.

I've checked /etc/network/interfaces and it's configured as it should be, but an ifconfig just show the local loopback or something?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts
    @Hightower:

Did you build the Ubuntu server first as a VM then install Zimbra on this VM then import all the users mailboxes and accounts?

Have a word with Webman and see if he can help you on this score

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Hightower:

Did you build the Ubuntu server first as a VM then install Zimbra on this VM then import all the users mailboxes and accounts?

Have a word with Webman and see if he can help you on this score
    The Ubuntu server was built originally as a VM for VMWare Server, and has never been a physical machine. I thought because of this it would have been even easier to convert than if it was a physical machine.

Thank Post
    Ok, I've managed to get the machine replying to a ping - but I have an even bigger problem in that Zimbra won't start properly. ZMControl Status shows that mailbox is not starting since converting this machine to ESXi Infrastructure.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looking at a few VMWare forum posts, they recommend using the VMWare Converter tool to import VMs from Server into ESXi. Give that a go (choose your ESXi host as both source and destination) and see what happens.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Looking at a few VMWare forum posts, they recommend using the VMWare Converter tool to import VMs from Server into ESXi. Give that a go (choose your ESXi host as both source and destination) and see what happens.
    That's what I tried initially webman. VMWare Converter with source set to our VMWare Server (where the VM image is now) and destination set to the new ESXi server.

This took about an hour to complete but power on worked great. I then discovered that the new network port had been defined as eth1 instead of eth0 so I reset this (deleting the persistent file). This put the new network port to eth0 and I started getting a reply. But Zimbra still isn't working.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah right

Anything meaningful in the logs?

/var/log/messages, /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log or /opt/zimbra/log/zmmailboxd.out are good places to look.

Thank Post
    You need dns and an mx record working before zimbra will start.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You need dns and an mx record working before zimbra will start.
    That's not the problem - Zimbra has been setup and working for the past 6 months. It's the conversion/moving to ESXi that's created the problem.

@Webman: I'm just in the process of converting again to make sure it wasn't a one off problem. This is gonna take a while so will check the logs in the morning if I have the same problems again.

Cheers,

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    That's not the problem - Zimbra has been setup and working for the past 6 months. It's the conversion/moving to ESXi that's created the problem.

@Webman: I'm just in the process of converting again to make sure it wasn't a one off problem. This is gonna take a while so will check the logs in the morning if I have the same problems again.

Cheers,
    Changing network adaptor can affect /etc/networks and /etc/networks/interfaces stopping dns from resolving. I assume the static address is the same too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Changing network adaptor can affect /etc/networks and /etc/networks/interfaces stopping dns from resolving. I assume the static address is the same too.
    The static address is fine and DNS isn't the problem as we can resolve the server address, and get a reply. Flip side and the server can resolve other hosts too and get a reply.

I think the problem lies within zimbra as I can SSH in no problem - it's just the mailbox service in zimbra which is failing to start.

Thank Post
    Ok, got this working. I converted the machine from VMWare Server to ESXi using the VM conversion tool, and selecting the same options as I did the first time.

Then before I did anything else I powered on the machine and deleted /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

I then restarted the box immediately and logged in as Zimbra to check on status. All services up and I can log into webmail!

Chuffed!

Thank Post
    Whoops - powered the machine down again, and upped the available RAM to 8GB (was set to 1GB) and this stopped the Zimbra mailbox service from working (and I did this the first time too).

How can I up the memory to 8GB without breaking the box?

I've just changed it back to 1GB and it works again, but need to up it to 8 ideally.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast