+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Thin Clients, where, who? in Technical; Originally Posted by markberry We use SunRay thin clients, although I'm slowly going off their solution as it's proprietary and ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markberry View Post
    We use SunRay thin clients, although I'm slowly going off their solution as it's proprietary and I see little benefit over a purely Windows solution.
    Hi Mark, is this down to cost or complexity (can you support it in-house)...?

Do any other companies manufacturer compatible hardware, or does "proprietary" mean you are locked in...

Thanks

Thank Post
    We don't support Sun in-house as it's built on Solaris and although I have spent a lot of time using UNIX at Uni, that was some time ago and I don't fancy spending a large amount of time studying just to support this one system.

The Sun thin clients will only work with Terminal Servers going through Sun SGD servers which act as a gateway. Sun thin clients do not use RDP so will not connect directly to TS.

So now for us, if we wanted to move away from Sun completely we would have to replace every thin client we currently have. If we want to buy more thin clients they have to be Sun in order to work with the integrated card login which all our students and staff use. If we expand our thin clients significantly not only do we need to buy more terminal servers, we would also have to either upgrade or increase the number of Sun SGD servers too. This also means an increased Sun SGD support cost.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12