+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, thin client in Technical; So i want to try having thin clients on the network, i have a server i can use for terminal ...
    Thank Post

thin client

So i want to try having thin clients on the network, i have a server i can use for terminal server and volume lisncing so thats ok, but what do i need at the client end to make it work? I have some old celerons with 512MBram as hardware but what OS?

Thank Post
    Thinstation's probably a good start and won't cost you anything onto your existing TS.

:: Thinstation - a light, full-featured Linux thin client OS ::

Thank Post
    ...or if you would prefer to test a dedicated thin-client we can loan you one. The only setting up required is to enable DHCP and provide the IP address of the server. From unboxing to setting up to being connected to your server will take less than 30 seconds!

Below are some comments of users who have gone down this route:

Axel AX3000 m70 for Lesson Monitor

PM me, or fill out the link on www.axel.com to have one sent to you...

Thank Post
    Another vote for Thinstation here. Happy to package up our image and let you have a copy. Should only need a few tweaks to get it on your server.

Thank Post
    i looked at thinstation, but in the config file appears as if it has to different for each thin client. is this correct?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    i looked at thinstation, but in the config file appears as if it has to different for each thin client. is this correct?
    No. You may need to have different ones for different models of computer, or you could create a giant thinstation image with all the drivers you require for various models.

We have 3 different types of computer all using the same thinstation image (about 30 machines in total).

Thank Post
    i have a server i can use for terminal server and volume lisncing so thats ok
    Won't you still need to pay for Terminal Services licenses per machine / user you wish to connect?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Does Thinstation require PXE network cards or can you create an image so it will boot from the HD?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can use PXE, make a disk bootable image, a CD-ROM bootable image or many other options.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    No. You may need to have different ones for different models of computer, or you could create a giant thinstation image with all the drivers you require for various models.

We have 3 different types of computer all using the same thinstation image (about 30 machines in total).
    so line 3 of the config file saying ''give a different name to each pc'' we should ignore?

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Won't you still need to pay for Terminal Services licenses per machine / user you wish to connect?
    s
    yes, but we dont pay them untill the end of the year, when our volume lisence renewal come round. (i've been told)

Thank Post
    so line 3 of the config file saying ''give a different name to each pc'' we should ignore?

yes, but we dont pay them untill the end of the year, when our volume lisence renewal come round. (i've been told)
    If licensing isn't an issue, you could just whack (minimal) XP on the PC and use the standard Windows RDP Client in accessories....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, just omit it. Elsewhere, I can't remember where, you can set up config files for each machine via their MAC address and name them if you don't want the default naming system to be used (it names them TS_MAC IIRC).

We've always been told that we don't pay for the extra software we already have licenses for (ie. if we have 300 licenses for XP and our network grows to 310 XP machines) until the end of the year, but if it is something we don't have yet (like adding TS licenses to the agreement) then we needed to buy them.

This is for both licensing and technical requirements - namely, terminal services requires a licensing server to run properly. And the licensing server requires some licenses to allow clients to connect - if you use a volume licensing scheme, this would involve entering your agreement number in the licensing console and it contacts MS to get your licenses.

Thank Post
    @localzuk: I believe that mjs_mjs is describing a Schools Agreement where by adding an additional product part way through the year is fine (and doesn't require payment immediately) but you will be charged for it in the next year of your agreement.

For instance, you might license 5 Windows servers at the start of your agreement in January (assuming your agreement starts in January) but part way through the year (say June) decide you want to implement a sixth one. You would be allowed to implement your new server in June and would then add it to your agreement next January when it is renewed.

This is how it was recently described to me anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @localzuk: I believe that mjs_mjs is describing a Schools Agreement where by adding an additional product part way through the year is fine (and doesn't require payment immediately) but you will be charged for it in the next year of your agreement.

For instance, you might license 5 Windows servers at the start of your agreement in January (assuming your agreement starts in January) but part way through the year (say June) decide you want to implement a sixth one. You would be allowed to implement your new server in June and would then add it to your agreement next January when it is renewed.

This is how it was recently described to me anyway.
    Yes, that's what I just said - you can increase the number of machines you have for products you've licensed. Just not products that weren't on your license. ie. If you don't have any licenses for Office, you can't use Office unless you actually add it. That's how it was described to me anyway.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yes, that's what I just said - you can increase the number of machines you have for products you've licensed. Just not products that weren't on your license. ie. If you don't have any licenses for Office, you can't use Office unless you actually add it. That's how it was described to me anyway.

I'm pretty sure that's the case as well you can add additional licences but not a new product category.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast