+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, VMWare Support and Subscription in Technical; Hi all - this may be one that a VMware reseller will know (not to say others wouldn't)... I've just ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

VMWare Support and Subscription

Hi all - this may be one that a VMware reseller will know (not to say others wouldn't)...

I've just received a "courtesy reminder" that my support and subscription is set to expire on 03-DEC-2009

this (having read the date wrong yesterday I need to get the order into our finance and chased serveral times before that date - though it said 30-DEC) is something I need to sort but the bit where I have a quirey is the quote they sent with it has vSphere 4 and not ESX3.5 that I would expect...

So to my question (finally)... As it is a support and subscription does this mean that I have rights/licence to install the latest versions of ESX/vSphere? would I have to pay for the media? Can I do a straight upgrade (put disk it and click next, next, back, next etc.)? does vSphere work better than 3.5? can you have one server as 3.5 and one as 4 without buggering up the HA?

ok so my question became many a question and some are silly but answers would be useful still to even the silliest...

Thanks, Dave

Thank Post
    DISCLAIMER - I'm not a reseller nor am I even using VMware yet, just investigating it currently.

Here's the reply I recieved from a reseller when I was asking about licensing and upgrade costs:

All of the license costs are one off, just the support is renewed annually.

With regards to the upgrade to ESX 4.5/vSphere 2 (for example), a like for like upgrade will be FOC, providing they keep their support in order. (by like for like, I mean they could move from, vSphere Advanced to vSphere 2 Advanced etc). Platform upgrades (i.e. moving from vSphere Advanced to vSphere Enterprise), are chargeable regardless of support.
    So, if you have a current support contract and are upgrading from the same version (i.e. Advance to Advance as the example given above) it won't cost you to upgrade. There is a vSphere media Kit for around 110 but I'm not sure if you can just download it instead. I don't see why not as you can download a trial that seems to be the full version, and just give it your key.

I may be right in thinking you'll need to buy a copy of vCenter to manage vSphere. Not sure about doing the upgrade, but when I tried 3.5 and 4.0 I personally found 4.0 to be an improvement, and I've heard others have done it smoothly.

Chris

3. 2 Thanks to Duke:

DAckroyd (24th November 2009), jamesreedersmith (24th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have both vSphere and vCenter down here as the latest versions so I would guess I can go for it

Thank Post
    If you have a support contract your licences get upgraded automatically, so thats why they appear as vSphere/esx4 on your contact info from VMware.

vSphere does work much better than 3.5

ESX4u1 has just been released too (as of friday), but vcenter upgrade to the latest build is also needed for this. So you'll probably need to go: 3.5->4.0->4.0u1 on vcenter.

Fixes for windows7 vsphere clients, tools upgrade to fix win7 and 2008r2 VMs.... and vmware view 4 support (which is awesome).

6. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

DAckroyd (24th November 2009)

Thank Post
    DISCLAIMER - I'm a VMware Enterprise reseller & VCP (Which still means I can still get it wrong sometimes! )

Duke is correct, with regards the upgrades to vSphere. If you have an active subscription you should have already been send updated vSphere license keys. https://www.vmware.com/account/login.do

Also if you use VMware's "Update Manager" its a dream to upgrade. (Done a number of ESX upgrades without a hitch.)

Andy

8. Thanks to apaton from:

Thank Post
    You can upgrade VC 3.5 direct to 4.0u1.

I've just upgraded to u1 from 4.0 with no downtime. (Well almost, you have to restart the vm's after a vmtools upgrade)

@Theblacksheep. Are you running View 4? Are you using thin clients?

Andy

10. Thanks to andyrite from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andyrite View Post
    @Theblacksheep. Are you running View 4? Are you using thin clients?
    Yes, got view4 up and running yesterday.

no thin clients.. could do with a test one really.

just desktops.... i used these with view3 for providing custom tiny desktops for 'esm/gola/alan' test machines people contact via a webbrowser on the main network without having to play with the main machines. I'm also testing using these for specific curricular needs (the ones where the kids have to use CMD, modify the dekstop and time).

Linked mode with composer is awesome, you can set it to maintain a minimum spare amount of dekstops (1) then it'll dynamically create spare desktops as users login to the miniumum spare. Clean desktop build every boot... This'll be really handy in a larger VDI environment to update the clone and provision the desktops very, very quickly.

PCoIP ain't bad either, dynamically resizing the desktops and monitors.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 24th November 2009 at 11:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Make sure you get educational prices, VMWare insist on sending me renewals that are for the full price!

Due to their terrible changeover to a new system, licensing queries can take 3-4 weeks to be answered. I'm also now using a product that doesn't exist and has a special code (VSphere standard + vmotion/svmotion).

13. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apaton View Post
    Also if you use VMware's "Update Manager" its a dream to upgrade. (Done a number of ESX upgrades without a hitch.)

Andy
    Thanks Andy, Where is the "update Manager"? and is it a case of click and boom it's vSphere from ESX3.5?

do I need to update vCenter first?

should vSphere sort out a problem I have with one of my SEX boxes restarting when it feels like it and occasionally not booting back? (been to both vmware and HP with the problem and it's neither of their faults)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Make sure you get educational prices, VMWare insist on sending me renewals that are for the full price!
    the renewal quote says "Gold Coverage Academic VMware vSphere 4 Enterprise for 1 processor (Max 6 cores per processor)" (with code at the end which I won't paste into here)
    and "Gold Coverage Academic VMware vCenter Server 4 Foundation for vSphere up to 3 hosts" (again with code)

Thank Post
    Update vcentre first. You can then use update manager to update your hosts.

Have a look at:-

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r...rade_guide.pdf

Andy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andyrite View Post
    Update vcentre first. You can then use update manager to update your hosts.

Have a look at:-

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r...rade_guide.pdf

Andy
    thanks, is this something best left 'til holidays or just go for it whenever?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAckroyd View Post
    the renewal quote says "Gold Coverage Academic VMware vSphere 4 Enterprise for 1 processor (Max 6 cores per processor)" (with code at the end which I won't paste into here)
    and "Gold Coverage Academic VMware vCenter Server 4 Foundation for vSphere up to 3 hosts" (again with code)
    My last one didn't have any academic references and was for 7000, this included a reinstatement fee due to how long it was taking to get a response! Got it sorted out for the correct pricing in the end (still 3600 this year!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    My last one didn't have any academic references and was for 7000, this included a reinstatement fee due to how long it was taking to get a response! Got it sorted out for the correct pricing in the end (still 3600 this year!)
    would things go smoother with them if you said "microsoft Hyper-V"? or at least a sentence containing it in a way that would make it look like they were going to loose custom?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAckroyd View Post
    would things go smoother with them if you said "microsoft Hyper-V"? or at least a sentence containing it in a way that would make it look like they were going to loose custom?
    Due to the poor souls at vmware dealing with a new licensing system it wouldn't have made much difference, they just couldn't get queries resolved quick enough. It's been fine every other year. Prices have risen since vSphere though, along with the worse exchange rate.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast