+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Thinstuff in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Thinstuff

We're currently looking into setting up thin clients and stumbled upon this;

Thinstuff: XP/VS Server

By the looks of it, it's pretty much the same as terminal services. Has anyone any experiance with it? It's about £700 for unlimited users so would work out pretty cheap (in thin client terms). Theres a demo available so might give it a go.

nath

2. Thanks to nathan from:

jinnantonnix (18th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    It's about £700 for unlimited users so would work out pretty cheap (in thin client terms).
    Check that whatever license agreement you have in place allows you to use Windows XP like this.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Check that whatever license agreement you have in place allows you to use Windows XP like this.

--
    David Hicks
    Yeah, i understand this. from reading the site it works with pretty much any windows os.

ta

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    Yeah, i understand this. from reading the site it works with pretty much any windows os.
    The product technically being able to let you log multiple users in to Windows XP doesn't mean that your Windows XP license allows you to do this. Licensing is the end-users reponsibility to sort out, so it's up to you at your end to make sure you don't violate the Windows XP EULA.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    The product technically being able to let you log multiple users in to Windows XP doesn't mean that your Windows XP license allows you to do this. Licensing is the end-users reponsibility to sort out, so it's up to you at your end to make sure you don't violate the Windows XP EULA.

--
    David Hicks
    You didnt need to clarify, i understand what you were saying. i was just pointing out that it wasnt just XP it could be installed on, it could be Server 2008 etc... But yes, regardless of OS i would need to look at the EULA.

Nathan

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Search these forums for 'nComputing' and 'SoftXpand'. Both systems are similar to this and the licensing issues have been gone over quiet thuroughly by both myself, dhicks and others in these threads.

To cut a long story short - your safesty option is Windows Server and buying the appropriate number of TS-CAL's. Begs the question, why not just use Terminal Server?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Search these forums for 'nComputing' and 'SoftXpand'. Both systems are similar to this and the licensing issues have been gone over quiet thuroughly by both myself, dhicks and others in these threads.

To cut a long story short - your safesty option is Windows Server and buying the appropriate number of TS-CAL's. Begs the question, why not just use Terminal Server?
    I'm already very familiar with softxpand (we've been testing the new version 3 this week). I dont think its a similar system to this. nComputing, i'm not sure about as i havent heard of it.

Think i'll speak to the company that does it to see what theyv'e got to say.

thanks for the input guys.

nath

Thank Post

multi-user XP

There are many similar products around, and as stated above licensing could be an issue - as hacking the registry to allow multi-user would seem to totally compromises Microsoft's Server products. Looking at it from MS point of view they are losing desktop $s, whether by not selling multiple copies of XP or not selling Terminal Services.

If you google multi-user XP you will find the 'free' registry hack. I guess these "Multi-user XP software companies" are simply expanding on this and putting the hack in a neat package...

If the software company is prepared to give you a written statement confirming all is legal you are probable OK - if they just refer you to MS licensing agreement you are proabably not. ie cover yourself if the s* hits the f*

It will be interesting to see if MS have blocked this loophole in 7...

Thank Post

Windows Multipoint

Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    Some good points raised here. It seems Microsoft have cottoned on to the sharing lark and are going to release this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/multipoint/faq.aspx

And of course, it will be properly licensed.
    Nice find - will be interesting to see how MS position this against Terminal Services - and the price.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some good points raised here. It seems Microsoft have cottoned on to the sharing lark and are going to release this:

Frequently Asked Questions | Windows MultiPoint Server 2010

Nice find! This is very good news assuming the pricing is competitive. If the nComputing/SoftXpand product prove compatible (or not needed) then I'd be looking into this a whole lot more.

Thank Post
    See also:

Microsoft Readies Shared Classroom Server For 2010 Debut

I get the impression, looking at the video, that some kind of extra hardware is needed in the PC, I don't know whether that's extra video cards to provide one VGA connection per workstation or a NComputing-style add-on card.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here's an interesting solution/clue to how Multipoint works. It looks like SoftXpand by Microsoft. 1 VGA ouput per monitor, etc.

DisplayLink: USB Virtual Graphics for Windows Multipoint Server 2010

Display link seem to be offering compatible USB graphics adaptors. Anyone got any ideas of the speed of USB linked display. What would the lag be like for say CAD work?

Thank Post

Frequently Asked Questions | Windows MultiPoint Server 2010

See also:

Microsoft Readies Shared Classroom Server For 2010 Debut

I get the impression, looking at the video, that some kind of extra hardware is needed in the PC, I don't know whether that's extra video cards to provide one VGA connection per workstation or a NComputing-style add-on card.

--
    David Hicks
    I don't think so... quote from MS link above

A. Windows MultiPoint Server 2010 has the same application requirements as Remote Desktop Services on Windows Server 2008 R2. Both MultiPoint Server 2010 and Remote Desktop Services are multi-user environments and applications may be accessed concurrently by many users.

For an overview of the key development considerations, please read the whitepaper on Application Readiness for Terminal Services. To learn more about developing applications for Desktop Remote Services, review the TS Programming Guidelines. For complete information on Remote Desktop Services, visit the Terminal Services product page and the Terminal Services TechNet Web sites. Information on developing applications for Windows Server 2008 R2 is in the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Application Quality Cookbook

Looks like it uses 'generic' RDP which is good news for all existing thin client users...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nut-ed View Post
    Looks like it uses 'generic' RDP which is good news for all existing thin client users...
    That'd be handy - an all-in-one Terminal Server machine, kind of thing. It might even take various hardware solutions (or the multiseat part of things might just work with DisplayLink's equipment, which would be a shame), and allow a mixture of multiseat / thin clients. We'll have to check out the Microsoft stand at BETT this year, see if they have a demo.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information