+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Using two different datastore for VM fault tolerance in ESXi 4 in Technical; Hi All, I'm looking for your suggestion and advise in utilizing the empty unused Local SATA-II datastore for my VM. ...

Thank Post

Question Using two different datastore for VM fault tolerance in ESXi 4

Hi All,

I'm looking for your suggestion and advise in utilizing the empty unused Local SATA-II datastore for my VM.

I've got the following ESXi 4.0 build 164009 and a valid license of vSphere Essentials license, therefore I could use VCB but the problem is that using NBD from the SAN into the backup server is way too slow :-| it took 55 hrs to fullbackup the whole 1 TB VMFS partition (D2D over 2 network subnet).

and now I'm thinking that rather than using backup solution Is it possible to clone the VM on the fly to more than 2 datastore like clustering service fault tolerance? (in this case to local datastore and the SAN_VMFS) in case there is a failure in the SAN, the VM can run off the Local Datastore, well it doesn't have to be realtime though.

or perhaps there is a VCB backup that can copy the VM from he SAN VMFS into the local datastore vmfs ? that is also possible.

Note: The reason why I chose this configuration is that direct connection from the SAN into the ESXi servers without anything in the middle, this can eliminate the single point of failure caused by the Switch and also provide redundancy.

each color in the iSCSI network is different IP subnet by itself. from the ESXi into the production network i put two cable connected to two different ports and then add those pNIC into same vSwitch for failover

Any kind of comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by albertwt; 15th September 2009 at 09:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Not too sure if I understand your question. But trying to answer best I can.

If you want to backup VM's to your BackupExec Server local disk. Then if you have the vSphere Essentials Plus license, I would recommend VMWARE data recovery. Alternatively, I would use vRangerPro or Veeam Backup.

But if you want to use the local VMFS disk on the ESX hosts for backup, then you could use the VGhetto scripts.

Andy

3. Thanks to apaton from:

albertwt (14th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply Andy,

Hm...

now I begin to thinking If i should be using VCB -SAN mode for the backup, I think I must redesign the deployment diagram attached by joining the Backup server in the same subnet as the SAN and one LAN cable into the production network ?

cmiiw.

Thank Post
    here it is the final deployment plan according to the best practice of iSCSI SAN deployment for VCB backup.

In the diagram, i put the Backup proxy Server on both iSCSI network and the production.

I also put the HP Procurve 1800-24G model #J9028B in the middle between the ESXi and the SAN as oppose to the current deployment which is direct connection from the SAN to the ESXi.

the switch in the middle is the one who connects between the iSCSI network path between the ESXi and the SAN and the Backup proxy.

See the color difference, each color coded line represents the different IP address.

Any comments regarding this would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    AWT

Thank Post
    Looks good to me for a VCB backup and that how I have previous deployed an iSCSI SAN. Only one comment is that your HP switch is a single point of failure.

Andy

7. Thanks to apaton from:

albertwt (14th September 2009)

Thank Post
    OK, Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like I'm on the right track, but instead i shall criss-cross the Ethernet cable into two switches in the middle for the redundancy matters.

HP Procurve 1800-24G model# J9028B is the only switch that i have available as spare, it has 24 ports which is more than enough for the deployment as in the diagram I posted before.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread