+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Citrix and video streaming in Technical; We use VLCPlayer on our XP clients as it's easy to update and supports most codecs, to make it easy ...
    Thank Post

Citrix and video streaming

We use VLCPlayer on our XP clients as it's easy to update and supports most codecs, to make it easy for staff I installed this on our Citrix boxes but have noticed that video playback is poor and sound is fuzzy. We had an engineer onsite who suggested that it could be due to Citrix optimizing their client for streaming with Media Player codecs, I tried the same videos and MP3's with Media Player and they do indeed stream much better using that.
    The problem is that Media Player can be a pain to update codecs for and updating to a new version means quite an update to the servers that Iíll have to plan. Currently our Citrix boxes have media player 10 on is there a quick and easy way to make sure that it has all the latest codecs on or has anyone got a better suggestion on how they support this on their Citrix setup?

Our Citrix boxes run Server 2003 SP2 and PS 4.5. The thin client devices are a mix of Axel units and HP Windows CE5/Debian Linux.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    I'd be surprised (and impressed) if you can get thin clients to show video of a watchable quality.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I'd be surprised (and impressed) if you can get thin clients to show video of a watchable quality.
    Then you've not used Citrix...

There is no 'easy' way to get all the codecs if you want to remain legal I'm afraid. There are various codec packs available which can do the job, but you'll be skating in a grey area of the law AFAIK.

Thank Post
    @ SpuffMonkey - using the correct codecs and Media Player I could even get acceptable playback on the Axel devices (not in full screen). Some HP units even offload some of the work onto the client unit (if of the appropriate spec) to improve performance.

@ localzuk -
    There is no 'easy' way to get all the codecs if you want to remain legal I'm afraid. There are various codec packs available which can do the job, but you'll be skating in a grey area of the law AFAIK
    I thought that might be the case, i'll just have to see how it goes. For now i'll set MP3s to play using Media Player it does seem to stream audio better. Cheers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    @ SpuffMonkey - using the correct codecs and Media Player I could even get acceptable playback on the Axel devices (not in full screen). Some HP units even offload some of the work onto the client unit (if of the appropriate spec) to improve performance.
    It all depends on the Citrix SpeedScreen technology, and the client having the capability enabled also. This is why some thin clients are actually quite beefy machines (1Ghz processors etc...).

Thank Post
    Yep that's true, some of the newer terminals are getting damn expensive though it can feel like buying a new PC price wise. Still they're way easier to manage especially the Axel units.

Do you run some Citrix boxes localzuk?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep that's true, some of the newer terminals are getting damn expensive though it can feel like buying a new PC price wise. Still they're way easier to manage especially the Axel units.

Do you run some Citrix boxes localzuk?
    Yep, got a couple of citrix servers and about 70 clients so far. Only problem I've come across is that during high load, things can crawl for everyone - so I just need to deploy a third server.

Thank Post
    Yep, got a couple of citrix servers and about 70 clients so far. Only problem I've come across is that during high load, things can crawl for everyone - so I just need to deploy a third server.
    At the end of last term the staff let the students 'play' as per usual and I noticed things running a bit slowly, I had a look around and loads were watching i-Player the server coped surprisingly well I think i-Player will be banned from now on though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    At the end of last term the staff let the students 'play' as per usual and I noticed things running a bit slowly, I had a look around and loads were watching i-Player the server coped surprisingly well I think i-Player will be banned from now on though.
    Yeah, when we have a full class of people watching youtube it grinds to a halt. But I can't block it, as I would be lynched, so will just add more server power (already have the physical boxes to do it so not a big problem).

Thank Post
    We blocked youtube for students but staff can use it so they can show anything they need to on the projectors.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread