+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, VMWare ESXi 4 networking? in Technical; Hello, Over the summer we have stepped in to the world of virtualisation using Citrix XenServer. Now that this is ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Console
    Posts
    236
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    22

    VMWare ESXi 4 networking?

    Hello,

    Over the summer we have stepped in to the world of virtualisation using Citrix XenServer. Now that this is in place we are looking to virtualise a few of our other low use servers. Due to OS support we are now also using ESXi 4.0.

    I have managed to P2V a Windows 2003 box on to our ESXi server but am now confused about how the networking of this guest OS works. Under XenServer, you assign the guest machine an IP address as you would a physical machine. In ESXi I am now shown two "VMWare Virtual Ethernet Adapter" devices with 192.168.x.x addresses. I presume that there is some NAT happening, somewhere, but I had intended to keep this virtualised machine in its original IP address.

    Can any ESXi users tell me how I can get this virtual machine to use it's original IP? Or quickly explain EXSi's guest networking system?

    Thanks!

  2. Thanks to iSteve from:

    albertwt (3rd March 2011)

  3. #2

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,206
    Thank Post
    286
    Thanked 777 Times in 587 Posts
    Rep Power
    336
    In ESXi you create virtual switches. By default just one is set up, but really you want 2-3, one for your management network, one for your vm's to use and one to connect to your SAN. You don't connect individual physical nics to your VM's virtual nics, you just assign the VM to a virtual switch.

  4. Thanks to teejay from:

    albertwt (3rd March 2011)

  5. #3
    apaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kings Norton
    Posts
    283
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 106 Times in 87 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by iSteve View Post
    Hello,
    In ESXi I am now shown two "VMWare Virtual Ethernet Adapter" devices with 192.168.x.x addresses. I presume that there is some NAT happening, somewhere, but I had intended to keep this virtualised machine in its original IP address.

    Can any ESXi users tell me how I can get this virtual machine to use it's original IP? Or quickly explain EXSi's guest networking system?

    Thanks!
    ESX doesn't use NAT.

    From vSphere client Configuration>"Network Adaptors" view.
    Column - "Observed IP Ranges" Shows IP's on the network for information purposes only.

    This is to help you identify NIC's and networks only.

    From vSphere client Configuration>Network view
    You create a vswitch then attach a NIC and VM's to a vswitch.
    ESXi will have a default vswitch0 with a single NIC attached.

    VM Guest network interface is assigned to Network Label (vswitch network) and IP's are setup in the VM Guest only.

    For a better explanation see http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r...ver_config.pdf

    Andy

  6. Thanks to apaton from:

    albertwt (3rd March 2011)

  7. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Console
    Posts
    236
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Thanks - I have downloaded the manual to read as this is a new concept.

    What I am still unclear on, is why after converting this machine from P2V, it now gives the host two network adapters, both with 192 addresses? Will my virtualised server still be able to be on it's original IP address? I did try setting the virtual adapters (alternately) to the static IP I wish to use, but I do not get any network connectivity.

  8. Thanks to iSteve from:

    albertwt (3rd March 2011)

  9. #5

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,206
    Thank Post
    286
    Thanked 777 Times in 587 Posts
    Rep Power
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by iSteve View Post
    Thanks - I have downloaded the manual to read as this is a new concept.

    What I am still unclear on, is why after converting this machine from P2V, it now gives the host two network adapters, both with 192 addresses? Will my virtualised server still be able to be on it's original IP address? I did try setting the virtual adapters (alternately) to the static IP I wish to use, but I do not get any network connectivity.
    You can choose how many network adaptors you want during the conversion process, it must have defaulted to 2. Just close down the machine, go into edit settings on the VM and remove one of the network cards.
    You probably haven't got network connectivity because you will probably have the network card connected to the default virtual switch, which is usually the one the management interface is on. You need to create a new virtual switch and link it to the physical network cards you want to use and then in the settings for the network card for the VM you set it to connect to the correct virtual switch.

    Main places to look in the VSphere client, click on the Virtual host server and on the configuration tab look in the networking section for setting up virtual switches.

    On the virtual machine, in VSpehere right click on it, go to edit settings and then you can remove/add network cards and also change the switch the network card is attached to.

  10. Thanks to teejay from:

    iSteve (27th August 2009)

  11. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Console
    Posts
    236
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Got it working now. I had not set up the two interfaces correctly. I now have one management, and one for VM traffic. All working! Thanks for your help.

  12. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Cannot get VMs to connect to the physical network

    Hi,

    I have installed a ESXi 4.0 installable on a VMplayer machine and got it working (it can run vm inside) but I have a problem. I can connect only to the management network from outside, an VMs that run into ESXi cannot connect to the outside. I have created another virtual switch with a nic connected to it. This nic is in a network 192.168.137.0/24 and the ip range is detected correctly from the ESXi server (it is visible in the vsphere client).But when I attach a virtual machine to the vswitch (setting up a vport of course) I cannot get any connection to the outside and I cannot get any config from the outside DHCP server. Even if I config the ip manually I don't get any connection.

    Do you have any idea why this doesn't work?

    Thanks

  13. #8

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    hk
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Dear dadopap,
    I have the same question on Esxi networking, did you solve it now? Can you teach me steps by steps? Many thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by dadopap View Post
    Hi,

    I have installed a ESXi 4.0 installable on a VMplayer machine and got it working (it can run vm inside) but I have a problem. I can connect only to the management network from outside, an VMs that run into ESXi cannot connect to the outside. I have created another virtual switch with a nic connected to it. This nic is in a network 192.168.137.0/24 and the ip range is detected correctly from the ESXi server (it is visible in the vsphere client).But when I attach a virtual machine to the vswitch (setting up a vport of course) I cannot get any connection to the outside and I cannot get any config from the outside DHCP server. Even if I config the ip manually I don't get any connection.

    Do you have any idea why this doesn't work?

    Thanks

  14. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I figured that VM networking doesn't work with VMplayer and VMware fusion. Because I tried it on a real machine and I didn't have any problem. Anyway perhaps it works with newer version of vmware player or with vmware workstation (haven't tried that)

  15. #10

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    hk
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Dear dadopap,
    You are great, can you kindly teach me steps by steps with screen captures how to make Esxi 4 networking work on WM guest? I have one NIC with a management IP which is a public IP. I can remote login/manage the Server from outside thru this IP, how can I setup to make guest OS to get thru internet?
    Thanks a lot!

    Quote Originally Posted by dadopap View Post
    I figured that VM networking doesn't work with VMplayer and VMware fusion. Because I tried it on a real machine and I didn't have any problem. Anyway perhaps it works with newer version of vmware player or with vmware workstation (haven't tried that)

  16. #11

    SpuffMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,257
    Thank Post
    55
    Thanked 283 Times in 189 Posts
    Rep Power
    135
    The problem I had, was that the server that the ESXi sat on could only connect to a single VLAN - which restricted how I could use it somewhat.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. VMware ESXi Backup
    By dyoung5 in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 7th December 2010, 02:57 PM
  2. ESXI 4 and Networking
    By jreimer in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th May 2010, 09:19 AM
  3. Battery Backup for VMWare ESXi
    By jreimer in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th July 2009, 04:22 PM
  4. VMware ESXi with MD3000i
    By ESXi_2008 in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 27th May 2009, 12:15 AM
  5. VMWare ESXi
    By jack0w in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 17th October 2008, 10:25 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •