+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Sun Ray 2 and Dell monitors with USB problems! in Technical; We recently got 21 Dell 19" monitors with the built in USB ports and 21 Sun Ray 2 thin client ...

Thank Post

Sun Ray 2 and Dell monitors with USB problems!

We recently got 21 Dell 19" monitors with the built in USB ports and 21 Sun Ray 2 thin client devices.

The problem is 3 or 4 of the Sun Ray 2 devices don't seem to have power to the mouse and keyboard when connected through the back 2 USB ports on the monitor! The monitor connects to the Sun Ray 2 using a USB A to B cable and this is the exact same setup as the 17/18 other Sun Ray 2 / Dell combos!

When the keyboard and mouse are plugged in to the Sun Ray 2 directly they work fine, when the Dell monitor A to B USB cable is connected to a normal laptop I can connect a mouse and keyboard through the Dell monitor and control the laptop fine, so I'm totally baffled as to what is going on?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    It could be that the Sun's USB ports are providing insufficient power to drive the USB hub that is built into the monitor. AFAIK the hub is not self-powered from the monitor's power supply, and relies on there being enough power from the host USB ports. Does one device (i.e. mouse or keyboard, but not both) plugged in via the monitor work? This used to be quite common in the bad old days when USB was relatively new, bit I haven't seen a problem like this in new hardware for a long time.

I have heard of thin-client devices sometimes being iffy with USB devices, but normally only with things like mass storage which need to be passed through to the server, rather than input peripherals which are dealt with by the terminal. I'm speculating here, but it could be that the terminal is being confused by the presence of the USB hub and is trying to have the server talk to whatever is plugged into it rather than reading the input directly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It could be that the Sun's USB ports are providing insufficient power to drive the USB hub that is built into the monitor. AFAIK the hub is not self-powered from the monitor's power supply, and relies on there being enough power from the host USB ports. Does one device (i.e. mouse or keyboard, but not both) plugged in via the monitor work? This used to be quite common in the bad old days when USB was relatively new, bit I haven't seen a problem like this in new hardware for a long time.
    All of our machines use these types of monitor, they do draw power form the power supply on the monitor. Its abit of a pain really, last week i had a pen drive plugged into the side started copying something it was taking ages so i went home and turned off the monitor. Came in next morning it had stopped because power had stoppedto the ports.

Thank Post
    I assume you've tried taking one of the working set ups, and switched the monitor from that to one where it doesn't work to help point fault?

Also, the mouse can plugged into the sun keyboard, see if that works?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    All of our machines use these types of monitor, they do draw power form the power supply on the monitor.
    I stand corrected!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    I assume you've tried taking one of the working set ups, and switched the monitor from that to one where it doesn't work to help point fault?

Also, the mouse can plugged into the sun keyboard, see if that works?
    I think I did, I can double check tomorrow though. They're not Sun keyboards, just Dell keyboards and Dell mice.

It is just very confusing why, with the exact same wiring etc the other 17 or so work fine 100% of the time! The optical light on the mouse doesn't even light up during the boot up / connection process yet it does with the other Sun Rays!

Need to get it working really so the kids can use the side USB ports on the monitor for their USB drives and the like

Thank Post
    Bit of swapsy aroundy may be a good start, try switching out everything to see if you get a pattern.

Definitely weird though!

Thank Post
    I'm baffled now and to describe what cable swapping etc I did in words isn't worth the stress my head would go through!

Basically the monitors don't seem faulty as the USB hubs work fine through a standard PC, and the Sun Rays don't seem faulty as they will provide power to the monitor hubs when connected through a different monitor!

Think I'm going to get the support guys in on the job to be honest!

The mice do 'blink' on and off once as they do on all the Sun Rays but then they don't seem to get 'full' power.

Thank Post
    The guys at our support end say the problem lies within the fact the monitors can use different USB 'engines' even though they're the same model and the Sun Rays 2 won't pick up all 'engines' out there!

I love playing the Dell lottery

Thank Post
    Another fun day of USB world, and it turns out by using random USB cables (Not the Dell provided ones) you can eventually get a monitor and Sun combo working!

If the kids nick any of the 'magic' USB cables I will track them down and shoot them!

Thank Post

Sun Rays

Any suggestions on where to get the best deal on a good working monitor for Sun Ray 2s? Would need for about 30 terminals. Suggested monitor model?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread