+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, How important is thin client hardware spec? in Technical; Hey, I'm currently looking around at the various Thin Client desktops and I'm wondering what impact the memory and processor ...

Thank Post

How important is thin client hardware spec?

Hey,

I'm currently looking around at the various Thin Client desktops and I'm wondering what impact the memory and processor speed have. A lot of the newer ones seem quite a big step up in specification, so was curious if there was a need for it.

TIA,
    Andy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    It is important if you want the client to run an o/s and host local applications. otherwise get a p1 and 16mb ram!.

We use atom 1.6Ghz with 2GB Ram. totally overspecced - but they are mini itx computers so we can add hdd and turn them into FAT clients if we need.

3. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

andycoates (13th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Yeah the intention was to boot straight into a virtual server so nothing I can think of running locally. I guess the thought in the back of my mind was how CPU/memory intensive some of the remote client software can be (RDP or ICA).

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    maybe if you have a lot of encryption it would be important, but IMO you should spend money on your network infrastructure instead.

Thank Post
    ICA and RDP take very little CPU power, you can dredge up your oldest PC and it'll work just fine as a thin client.

For RDP and ICA most of the memory required is to maintain the screen, so the amount is a function of screen resolution and colour depth. (ie 7 Mb for 1920x1200 @ 24 bit colour)

The real question is, what operating system to use in the thin client, as this is where the hardware resources really make a difference.

A thin client based on XP will require a lot more hardware to run RDP/ICA at the same speed as a thin client running Linux, and the Linux thin client will in turn require a lot more hardware than a thin client that has no operating system and runs RDP/ICA direct from hardware...

7. Thanks to Axel from:

andycoates (13th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andycoates View Post
    Hey,
    I'm currently looking around at the various Thin Client desktops and I'm wondering what impact the memory and processor speed have. A lot of the newer ones seem quite a big step up in specification, so was curious if there was a need for it.

Andy.

The spec is important when considering additional features such as USB redirection & Multi Media/CODEC enhancements.

Another alternative is Sun Ray's from Sun Microsystems. These are ultra thin units, no memory or CPU options. I have a Sun Ray 1 unit thats over 9 years old and delivers a Windows Vista desktop absolutely fine.

Andy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread