+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Deploying printers by room on TS in Technical; I'm about to take the plunge into thin clients. I'd really prefer to go with Sun technology, but don't think ...
    Thank Post

Deploying printers by room on TS

I'm about to take the plunge into thin clients.

I'd really prefer to go with Sun technology, but don't think the budget will allow. Our LA have proposed a purely MS TS solution, just using the tools built into Windows Server 2008. This is, of course, the cheapest option.

Any general thoughts on going with just MS, and not using Citrix or Sun? Anything that would justify the higher cost for a cash-strapped small school?

My main worry is assigning printers based on the clients ID (i.e. grouping them by room and assigning printers that way). I know the Sun Solaris solution can do this, but can Windows TS also do this? Or is there a feasible workaround?

Thanks.
    Last edited by OverWorked; 18th July 2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: edit title

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    You can deploy printers by user, computer or a combination of both in 2003 R2 and 2008 Server.

By the sounds of things (primarily) you want to deploy printers based on location, so deploying per computer would be the best option. Organise/create your OUs and move the relevant computer objects, create GPOs, then specify the printer(s) you want to deploy.

I've not deployed in a thin client/TS environment, but I have no reason to believe it's any different to a FAT environment.

Thank Post
    There is a VBS script here that can do this..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,703 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As long as the client devices can be given names you can do this kind of thing using a script. As the TS clients may not be domain joined themselves you may need to include a room specific prefix in the client name. This script should get you started:

Client name terminal server - Server Scripting
    Code:
    Dim LeftString, netPrinter, UNCpath, Midstring
    Set Sh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    sys = Sh.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%CLIENTNAME%")
    User = CreateObject("WScript.Network").Username
    Sh.LogEvent 4, "Logon by " & User & " from " & sys
    LeftString = Left(sys, 4) 
    WScript.echo leftstring
    if leftstring = "yourclientcomputersname" then
    UNCpath = "\\spooler01\theprinteryouwanttomap" 
    Set netPrinter = CreateObject("WScript.Network") 
    netPrinter.AddWindowsPrinterConnection UNCpath
    WScript.Echo "Your printer is mapped from : " & UNCpath
    end if
    Midstring = Mid(UNCpath,13,4)
    Wscript.echo Midstring
    Wscript.echo "If you have changed location since starting this session Please Logoff and Logon again for correct devices and printers"
    WScript.Quit
    If using per room VLANs and subnets or static IPs you could probably also do this with the client device IPs.

Thank Post
    Thanks for replying, everyone.

I know that with fat clients' printers had to be deployed with a script in a GPO, and since the addition of group policy preferences, could be deployed with GPOs.

The trouble is that thin clients aren't organised by GPO, or by any other method that I know of. It looks like we have to revert to the old script method, which is a disappointing backward step, but at least it's possible.

I'd seen Ric's script, but it's a few years old. I was hoping that with Server 2008 MS would have come up with a better method of organising thin clients and deploying things like printers to them.

Anyway, at least it's possible. That's the main concern addressed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    I am in the same place, well will be once our current dev work has been completed. Going to look at setting up an existing room onto TS using the TS Eval option for half a term and take feedback from staff on the room, if it works well then look at doing it full on and licensing it. The cost is the problem we have (as you know anyway), but I am wanting to look into the Sun Rays as Ric's look ace and I want the funky cards and to follow me round (Okai I like gadgets as well!) The initial costs will be high, but next financial year is a big expense year for us anyway, 4 new servers needed so I would think its the right time to look into Thin Clients and ensure the new servers are designed for them just in-case

Thank Post
    John,

I'd really want the Sun solution too, bit don't think I'll get the funding.

Last week I had a demo of Sun technology by Bell Consulting at Sun's offices in Leeds. If I'd thought, I should have asked you to come too - sorry!

Very impressive. They told me everything Ric told me plus more. Loved the smart cards idea. Whip it it - instant desktop as you left it. Whip it out - you're done.

Plus enhancements to performance for audio & video over RDP. They said it bypasses the RDP (didn't understand how).

I'm expecting a quote from them in two weeks. If it's high, it'll be hard to justify. The SMT are really coming on heavily on expenditure at the moment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Don't worry about not giving me a yell, I couldn't have escaped last week its been madness ever since the meeting the other week so don't worry. Ric wetted my appitite for them when he gave me the tour and info of his kit I was well impressed.

We have no budget either but I will price and throw it to them and don't expect to get it but its worth a go I was very impressed with the video streaming on the Sun kit

Anyway, back to the office this fibre cable doesnt sort itself out and nore does the 100 Cat6 points that need terminating

Thank Post
    ....there's no reason why you can't use smart cards on W2003/W2008, and have the session "follow" you to any thin client you insert your card into....

10. Thanks to Axel from:

OverWorked (19th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked View Post
    John,

I'd really want the Sun solution too, bit don't think I'll get the funding.

Last week I had a demo of Sun technology by Bell Consulting at Sun's offices in Leeds. If I'd thought, I should have asked you to come too - sorry!

Very impressive. They told me everything Ric told me plus more. Loved the smart cards idea. Whip it it - instant desktop as you left it. Whip it out - you're done.

Plus enhancements to performance for audio & video over RDP. They said it bypasses the RDP (didn't understand how).

I'm expecting a quote from them in two weeks. If it's high, it'll be hard to justify. The SMT are really coming on heavily on expenditure at the moment.
    We have just tested the Early Access stuff that will become Sun Ray server 5. The flash acceleration results are impressive.

Be cautious of the normal video file stuff, the window of operation is small and you can get sucked into a smoke and mirrors demo.

Sun Ray however does rock

Thank Post
    I use Tricerat Simplify Printing for our TS farm.

IF you group your thin client rooms by ip range then you can easily assign different network printers to different rooms.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread