+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, VMware Server - Automatic Display to the Desktop in Technical; I've just brought a new laptop for Assembly presentations. It' has 4Gb RAM, so I left it running Vista x64. ...
    Thank Post

VMware Server - Automatic Display to the Desktop

I've just brought a new laptop for Assembly presentations. It' has 4Gb RAM, so I left it running Vista x64. However, the school would like it to run like a normal domain PC. XP with group policies etc. I decided to install VMware Server 2.0 on it, however, found that there was no way that I could automatically get the VM to actually display at startup. I know it can automatically boot up in the background. But can it actually pop up on startup so the end user doesn't have to do anything and can be taken to the VM straight away.

I have managed this with VMware Workstation. Just add the .vmx file to the startup and set it to play with VMware Player. However, VMware Server doesn't come with Player, it comes with it's own Remote Console Plug-In.

Also, does VMware Player support audio? I have used the VM created from VMware Server to play on VMware Player, but it keeps saying no audio device detected. To achieve what I want, will I need VMware Workstation?

Thank Post
    Enable remote desktop on the XP virtual machine and then have a shortcut in the Startup Folder of the Vista PC to open an RDP session? It should work - but the problem is the shortcut in your startup folder will probably run before the VM has actually finished booting up - not really sure how you would get around that to be honest unless you could somehow set the vista box not to actually log on for a couple of minutes..

Butuz

Thank Post
    I think your just making it complex for no reason, Although it won't be able to use the full 4gb of ram, putting standard XP on it would save you a ton of hassle when you get all those last minute requests for it :P
    It will run fine for what staff need to do.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    I think your just making it complex for no reason, Although it won't be able to use the full 4gb of ram, putting standard XP on it would save you a ton of hassle when you get all those last minute requests for it :P
    It will run fine for what staff need to do.
    I though this myself and it might be my next solution, just thought I would try a different method because I thought it was pointless not using the 4Gb RAM when it was there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    I though this myself and it might be my next solution, just thought I would try a different method because I thought it was pointless not using the 4Gb RAM when it was there.
    Any benifits of having 4gb of ram are more than eaten up by having Vista on it. As said you are making a simple problem overly complex. VM Workstation will run graphics and video, but not 100% as well as a native OS, why take the risk over something which will take half an hour to sort?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You could just run XP 64bit then access all the memory.

Wes

Thank Post
    Why is 3.5 gig on XP not going to be enough for showing presentations in assembly???

Butuz

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Intersting poitn there Butuz, but as he's bought the hardware may as well get something that can use it all.

Wes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread