+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Help needed on turn XP into a secure tubby clients. in Technical; Hi, I really need help on how to make a DIY install which turns XP into a student proof thin/tubby ...

Thank Post

Help needed on turn XP into a secure tubby clients.

Hi,

I really need help on how to make a DIY install which turns XP into a student proof thin/tubby client.

I'm trying to create a User account which starts up a RDC session straight away on boot and login without loading the desktop start menu.

However I would also like to be able to access an administrator account which doesnt start any remote desktop session so that I could configure the client if needed.

I've worked out that if I set the 'Host' file with my terminal server IP and a name like 'Terminal Server' I can hide my servers IP from
    staff and students eyes and launch session by simply typing 'Terminal Server' into RDC computer name.

Theres also something I've seen where by holding down the shift key and logging out will allow the classic login screen
    so can still get into a local admin account to modify settings but I havent a clue how to make the RDP session start.

So far I have a VB script which Deletes Default Host File and then promts and rewrites the file (see attached VBS file) I've also managed to create from
    some other source code a script that allows me to rename local computer but from there I'm completely stuck

Unfortunately I only have a basic understanding of VBS and registry.

Thanks in advanced. Any help and guidance will be much appreciated.

Aaron
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by networkdemon; 20th June 2009 at 12:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Install XP as normal, create a GPO that is locked down stupidly and only allow access to mstsc, create a basic account with no permissions for anything except to run the mstsc, use something like Tweak UI to get client machine to logon, think there could be a registry hack, put mstsc in start up folder. Think that is it.

When you want to logon as the administartor log off the account which is basic and login as the administrator and that wont be locked down.

3. Thanks to MatthewL from:

networkdemon (20th June 2009)

Thank Post

Cheers

Thanks for the help.

I'll give it a try.

Aaron

Thank Post
    You don't really want to auto-start the RDP session either (it eats server resources).

Create a single desktop shortcut and point it to 'mstsc /v servername'. As has been mentioned, a GPO can remove everything else.

6. Thanks to Ric_ from:

networkdemon (20th June 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread