+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, VM Server 2 - The Free One in Technical; I've just setup a Windows 2003 server using VMWare Server 2 - the free one you can download form their ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

VM Server 2 - The Free One

I've just setup a Windows 2003 server using VMWare Server 2 - the free one you can download form their website.

It runs in a web browser which is fine. But do I need the base server logged in all the time (but locked) with the web browser open so that it runs the virtual server? If the server dies due to a power cut do I then need to re-logon and start everything up again or is it automatic?

I will read the instructions but asking here is quicker.

GJE

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we have virtual center server running and that starts thing automatically but it should easily be possible from webconsol also - I'll look for you

Thank Post
    You'd log in again the same as you would if the power failed on a physical server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    just having a look around the web consol I can't see anything that will do the trick...

if you have 3 or less ESX boxes then look at getting Virtual Center Foundation as it (half a year ago) cost just over 500 quid and that should help with the management

Thank Post
    I think you do have to restart the virtual servers after rebooting the physical server.

However you don't have to leave the physical server logged with the console open. You should be able to connect to the VMWareware server from any computer on your network.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have a VMware Server 2 setup.

You can close the web browser once you have started the macines, the only time you should have to go back on their is if you need to modify/power on any of the VM's.

James.

Thank Post
    Do you need to be logged in? No

Do you need to power them up? No, there is an option to start the guests with host startup.

Backup - vmWare Backup Script (Server 2, Workstation, possibly ESX)

Thank Post
    I must admit I think I preferred version 1 (non web based) to version 2, but thats just my opinion.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    I must admit I think I preferred version 1 (non web based) to version 2, but thats just my opinion.
    I agree somewhat, but you can use the VMWare Infrastructure Client that comes with ESXi to access a VMWare Server 2 host instead of the web client.

10. Thanks to Ashm from:

Sylv3r (16th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashm View Post
    I agree somewhat, but you can use the VMWare Infrastructure Client that comes with ESXi to access a VMWare Server 2 host instead of the web client.
    Thanks - Handy to know.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashm View Post
    Yeah thats what i do, as the web browser crashes alot for me as posted above always handy to know.

James.

Thank Post
    The only small problem with using the VI client is that you can't change the settings on VM's running Hardware Version 7 (default setting for new VM's created from the web client, I think). The main thing is that you can at least use it to view the VM's through the console.

Configure the VM's to use hardware version 4 and everything should work fine using the VI client.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The web browser is nothing more than a front end GUI to the server. The actual server runs as a service. Check 'My Computer -> Manage -> Services'. It should be set to automatically run when the computer boots. You should not have to run the Web interface to start the server.

Also the VM's can be set to autostart with the server. Unfortunately I'm not in front of our VMWare Server now so I can't tell you were the options are. But I know 100% you can set to auto run VM as the computer boots without ever having to run the Web Interface.

Edit: If you set the VM's to allow RDP login then the only time you need the webclient (or VI Client) is to create/detele/edit VM settings.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    I've just setup a Windows 2003 server using VMWare Server 2 - the free one you can download form their website.

It runs in a web browser which is fine. But do I need the base server logged in all the time (but locked) with the web browser open so that it runs the virtual server? If the server dies due to a power cut do I then need to re-logon and start everything up again or is it automatic?

I will read the instructions but asking here is quicker.

GJE
    The host ('base server' as you called it) doesn't need to have anyone logged on. It runs all the time as a service.

The VMWare Server 2 service will start automatically with the host server it runs on, so you don't need to restart it manually. The virtual machines can be configured (via the web interface) to also start and stop automatically with the host server.

Have a go! Assuming your host has sufficient memory and disk space (a serarate disk array is better for speed) you won't break anything or slow your server down. You'll soon get the hang of it. Just install XP as a VM on it to begin with.

I've used VMWare Server for over a year and have never read any instructions - it's that easy!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Edit: If you set the VM's to allow RDP login then the only time you need the webclient (or VI Client) is to create/detele/edit VM settings.
    I'd add that using RDP to access the VMs is also quicker than using the webclient console. The performance is much better.

If you do want to use the web client console, install the VMWare tools - this will also improve the experience, like using the same mouse cursor for the console and the VM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread