+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Advice on virtualisation in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,502 Posts
    my 5tb openfiler iscsi san was £3k

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dezt View Post
    @MonkeyX

How hard is Proxmox VE to use / get to know from having no experience with it?
    It is as easy the commercial offerings. The clustering is much easier than the commercial offerings. See video tutorials for moreinfo. The technicians at our school chose proxmox over over offerings and they are windows users rather linux users (Me being the odd one out!) Proxmox add a nice front end to openVZ/KVM/Qemu which takes longer from cli if you are not used to dealing with them. opnVZ and KVM are large open source projects so there is good support. The only sticking point for us was getting the server to see all the storage and I should probably document and share this.

In relation to storage our main server has about 4TB of usable storage (SAS drives with upgraded raid controller) that is shared amongst several machines. Thats suits our purpose and loadings. We then backup these machines to our backup server.

Your schools data loadings could be pushing you more towards a SAN? We will add an openfiler next year and use iscsi to share the IO and then add more machines to the current main vritualisation server as it is bound by IO now rather than RAM and CPU.

Promox is totally free to try and no need for upgrades to get full features etc. If you are interested in server specs we used etc let me know and I will PM you details. (Standard Dell server for main server and home made for our DR server )

Tim (aka monkeyx)

Thank Post
    Had an interesting Demo from M$ the other day & they said that with Server 2008 R2 if you buy the datacentre edition with HyperV (really cheap under Campus) you get the licences for the virtual servers FOC, so if you run 6 six virtual servers that's about £600 saved just on licences !!!

The guy also said that they'll support RedHat on the linux front so I asked if that included things like CentOS that is built on RH & he said he didn't see why not.

We're also looking at looking at virtualisation with no budget so OpenFiler is looking very interesting as I might be able to buy bits slowly to built up a filer box :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Had an interesting Demo from M$ the other day & they said that with Server 2008 R2 if you buy the datacentre edition with HyperV (really cheap under Campus) you get the licences for the virtual servers FOC, so if you run 6 six virtual servers that's about £600 saved just on licences !!!

The guy also said that they'll support RedHat on the linux front so I asked if that included things like CentOS that is built on RH & he said he didn't see why not.

We're also looking at looking at virtualisation with no budget so OpenFiler is looking very interesting as I might be able to buy bits slowly to built up a filer box :-)
    I would test the linux installs first (not tried R2 though) we had a nightmare getting it to work with ubuntu server and debian!

It also failed some our file copy IO tests hosting Windows 2003 servers!

Thank Post
    @MonkeyX

Can you PM me your server spec please, i want to compare the ones i'm looking at to yours to make sure that i'm looking at good enough servers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12