+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, XenClient in Technical; Just seen this on Digg: Citrix Demos of a New Kind of Virtual Machine for Mac - Mac Rumors It ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

XenClient

Just seen this on Digg:

Citrix Demos of a New Kind of Virtual Machine for Mac - Mac Rumors

It isn't specifically for a mac. What it is is a VM Hypervisor for clients. So it allows access to 3D acceleration, and client devices to all hosted VMs.

Some of the things I like:

1. It would allow the creation of a single image for *all* hardware devices, which could be rolled out from a central location
    2. It allows policy enforcement to prevent things like anti-virus from becoming out-dated, by allowing the admins to determine a maximum 'away from corp network time'. ie. if they don't plug in for 5 days, ti doesn't let them use that VM until it is connected to the corp network etc...
    3. It would allow admins to run multiple clients on a machine with full access to the hardware - so we could triple boot OS X, Linux and Windows without issue, and without significant slow down.

Just to wait and see what sorta price it'll be going for now!

Thank Post
    I am eagerly waiting for a beta

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by box_l View Post
    Ditto! I can imagine the price being out of our school's reach though - most things usually are

Thank Post
    Intel vPro was suppose to do the av thing, ie your machine isn't up-to-date, you're not getting on this network.

Thank Post
    price may be out of reach, but think of the savings to be made with having one centrally managed image that will run on ANY workstation, while still giving the end user the option to use the OEM licenced OS that came with the machine for mucking up with noddy apps and spyware.

no more "i cant connect to my home wireless cos you locked my school laptop" grumbles.

you can get close to this setup by installing xenserver on your laptop, finding the command line, and using yum to add a desktop environment. start x, and the use RDP/VNC type apps to connect to you VM desktops.

I have a D820 with Vista, windows 7 and PcLOS that i can switch between at will.

not so goo with usb wireless etc but that is what this project should do for us

BoX

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Intel vPro was suppose to do the av thing, ie your machine isn't up-to-date, you're not getting on this network.
    Maybe so, but it requires you to only buy machines with that tech in it. And schools don't work like that.

price may be out of reach, but think of the savings to be made with having one centrally managed image that will run on ANY workstation, while still giving the end user the option to use the OEM licenced OS that came with the machine for mucking up with noddy apps and spyware.

no more "i cant connect to my home wireless cos you locked my school laptop" grumbles.

you can get close to this setup by installing xenserver on your laptop, finding the command line, and using yum to add a desktop environment. start x, and the use RDP/VNC type apps to connect to you VM desktops.

I have a D820 with Vista, windows 7 and PcLOS that i can switch between at will.

not so goo with usb wireless etc but that is what this project should do for us

BoX
    I can't imagine how annoying the VNC/RDP solution would be. Especially with no hardware graphics acceleration...

Thank Post
    Is there a date for beta yet?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information