+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Virtualization and storage size in Technical; As some of you probably know we're in the planning stage of virtualizing (at least some of it) our network, ...
    Thank Post

Virtualization and storage size

As some of you probably know we're in the planning stage of virtualizing (at least some of it) our network, I'd appreciate some opinions on storage size from people that are already running a virtual setup.

To start we will be virtualizing five servers more than likely running server 2008, how much storage should I be planning for do I need to plan for the OS partition e.g 40 Gb and a snapshot. What sort of storage overhead should I anticipate per image?
    I'm just talking about the OS here not the associated data. The servers will be 1 or 2x file servers, 2x DC's and a WSUS/AV server.

We currently have a Sun 7110 SAN which I think will give us approx 1.4 Tb of storage should this be enough?

Any opinions or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Grant.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For the OS 40GB will be fine you can extend if needed. As for the files you can only answer that.

TIP: I will be very careful using snapshots with servers especially DC's you can cause major problems with AD

Thank Post
    Planning on using 40GB for each server's OS partition here. Not converting our DC's over at the moment, so really I won't be using too much space on the SAN to begin with - just several C: drives for member and terminal servers.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I tend to use use expanding disks, only use as much space as needed rather than fixed size, with a 12Gb limit for the OS partition. Never used all 12Gb in an OS partition - typically maxes out at around 8/9Gb. If I ever did reach the 12Gb limit I'd just extend the limit to about 20Gb.

Thank Post
    40GB will be fine, maybe a tad large for C but not overall.

I've made 25GB C drives for server 2008 DC, default install and updates leaves 11GB free. You may want to consider a fixed page file size or a page on a seperate disk as fragmentation still has an impact on the C drive. Plus a data disk for service programes, on a seperate iscsi controller if it something like sql, exchange, sccm, wsus etc. To go the extra mile you can chuck all page file disks on a dedicated fast lun.

1.5T will run out quick.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 1st May 2009 at 08:58 AM.

Thank Post
    @FN-GM - If snap shots are not recommended for DC's how do you backup your OS images?

Should I aim for either 30Gb partitions or dynamic then, is 40Gb a bit overkill?

Thank Post
    Domain controllers are fine but I d advise to keep the forest root as physical

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    Domain controllers are fine but I d advise to keep the forest root as physical
    ...Why?

Thank Post
    Yeh we have a fairly new box that's the PDCe amongst other things and that's staying, we'll be virtualizing a couple of DC's though.

...Why?
    MS amongst others recommend not virtualising your root DC, I think it's due to issues with active directory if your hypervisor goes under with all DC's on it could corrupt your entire directory.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 1st May 2009 at 09:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    @FN-GM - If snap shots are not recommended for DC's how do you backup your OS images?
    You can actualy use snap shots on DC's - the problem is you would have to both create, and restore the snapshots on all DC's at exactly the same time otherwise if the snapshot time difference is greater than 5 mins you will end up with domain controller(s) dropping off the network and losing replication.

Basically, it can be done but it is very very dangerous, unless you have ultra tight change management processes in place - your better off not doing it at all.

Should I aim for either 30Gb partitions or dynamic then, is 40Gb a bit overkill?
    If you used fixed partitions at least you know exactly how much space all your C drives take up, and thus how much free space you have. If you use dynamic - you could end up with multiple servers expanding their drives at the same time and possibly running out of space (if you don't have much space free on the SAN).

Butuz

Thank Post
    I'm hoping the 7110 can be setup as raid 5/6 and give approx 1.4Tb of storage, i've hardly had time to unbox it at the moment. I'm hoping this will be enough space with OS/snapshots and data.

Thank Post
    I'm hoping the 7110 can be setup as raid 5/6 and give approx 1.4Tb of storage, i've hardly had time to unbox it at the moment. I'm hoping this will be enough space with OS/snapshots and data.
    Does the 7110 support Raid 6?

Raid 5 with one hot spare will give you 1.752 gig and the ability to have one drive fail at a time.
    Raid 6 with two hot spares will give you 1.460 gig and the ability to have two drives fail at a time.

Write speed is slower on Raid 6 than on Raid 5 though due to the extra calulations the controller needs to do. Read speed is just the same on 6 or 5 (bloomin fast).

Butuz

Thank Post

Keep a spare controller in case the original goes nuts - RAID is great as long as it doesn't go wrong and then you realise you can just bung the disks in another server.

Thank Post
    Does the 7110 support Raid 6?
    It says so in the book. It's a tough choice but I think I'll go RAID5 as I've a feeling every bit of space will count.

RAID is great as long as it doesn't go wrong and then you realise you can just bung the disks in another server.
    I've had RAID setups go wrong before but that's what backups are for.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,510 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeh we have a fairly new box that's the PDCe amongst other things and that's staying, we'll be virtualizing a couple of DC's though.

We visualize all Sevrers with no problems

MS amongst others recommend not virtualising your root DC, I think it's due to issues with active directory if your hypervisor goes under with all DC's on it could corrupt your entire directory.
    Backup how you would backup a normal DC

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast