+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, XenServer 5.0 Access in Technical; Does anyone know if it is possible to access a virtual machine running on Xenserver 5.0 without using either the ...

Thank Post

XenServer 5.0 Access

Does anyone know if it is possible to access a virtual machine running on Xenserver 5.0 without using either the XenCenter or Remote Desktop?

The aim is to give students access to virtual pc's so that they can carry out a 'virtual' PC installation from BIOS through to operating system (XP Pro)

Thank Post
    Should just be able to remote desktop in as long as remote desktop is enabled.

I can remote into my VM's. Will you be remoting into Windows XP Pro?

Butuz

Thank Post

Access to VM's before OS has been installed.

Hi, thanks for the reply. We already use Remote Desktop to access XP VM's, which works perfectly. However, in this instance I need the students to access the VM's prior to the OS install process, so that they actually carry out the install (monitored by staff) From this, they will be able to capture screen shots to include in their coursework / assignments and portfolios etc.

Thank Post
    Ah I see what you are trying to do now.

I don't think it's possible without using the console.

What I would suggest - is to install VmWare ESXi on an old but reasonably powerful workstation (or Xen if you have 64 bit workstaions) and you can then give the pupils full access to the VmWare Infrastructure Client just for that ESXi workstation.

I know you use Xen but am suggesting ESXi because it installs ona wide range of 32 bit older hardware. I've got some "play around" ESXi server installed on 5 year old RM P4 workstations!

Butuz

Thank Post
    You could install VirtualBox in a XenServer VM and then give RDP access to the VirtualBox install.

Thank Post
    Thank you all for your responces. I looked at the Virtual Box option and also the VMWare Server option but discounted them for personal and more importantly time reasons, not at all for any functional reasons as they would both do what I wanted. In the end, I carried out an installation which was screen grabbed to make a video (camtasia used for this - excellent) from this, I used TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress to conver the video into several 100 individual screen shots. Both the video and the scren shots were uploaded to a shared resource area of the VLE. Students were shown the video, shich was discussed adn they each delved into the screen shots to pull individual images for their coursework. The process was (in the end) useful and productive. It used the group as a whole rather than individuals working alone, which promoted peer assessment and learning. A recommended solution to anyone in the same situation. After the initial installation, the students had access to their own virtual machines on which to carry on with software installation exercises etc.

Martin
    IT Manager
    Thomas Deacon Academy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread