+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Thin Cient slow down in Technical; Hi, I am testing with Virtualization for finding the ideal scenario for deploying our product. I am using the Windows ...

Thank Post

Unhappy Thin Cient slow down

Hi,

I am testing with Virtualization for finding the ideal scenario for deploying our product. I am using the Windows Remote Desktop Services(a.k.a Windows Terminal Services) methodology for virtualizing the product.

My server runs on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 64-bit edition. I have setup the Terminal server in it and also obtained enough licenses for my terminal clients.

My terminal client is a big plasma screen attached to a thin client. The thin client is configured to log on to the Terminal Server automatically using the RDP client application when it boots up and establish the session with the server. And so it does without any problems. But, i encounter the following issues.

• After connection, we are not able to have a smooth and flawless running of the session.
    • The connection gets stuck, and are very slow to load windows, when scrolling, minimizing, maximizing windows.
    • Also running of any application from the server is very slow and, breaks down for a longer period of time quite often.
    • When the remote desktop gets stuck for a long time, the connection with the terminal server itself gets lost.
    • Sometimes the connection to the terminal server takes too long to establish.

I checked our LAN and are pretty sure that its fault-less. Infact we tested with regular PCs as terminal clients and established connection with the server with as many as 10 clients and found out that we are able to run the session smoothly without any interruptions even when using many desktop applications of the server.

Here are the following details of our server and thin client:

Server:
    Intel Xeon- Quad core - 2 GHz each.
    4 GB RAM

Thin Client:
    Wyse V10L.
    128 MB Flash Memory(DOM),
    128 MB RAM
    It has RDP and ICA clients.

I am using the RDP client to connect to my Server. It is able to connect to the server well. My only problem is that i am unable to run applications without break downs or slowdowns even for a minute.

Any help would be much appreciated

Santosh.

Thank Post
    What does the application do?

Thank Post
    Hi Santosh, welcome to Edugeek.

So am I understanding correctly that you are only having problems when connecting using the thin client deivice?

Do you have another Wyse device that you can try? Also are there any updates available for the Wyse terminal?

Have you tried the Wyse client on another small monitor just to rule out issues with the plazma screen thin client combination?

Grant.

Thank Post

Question

Hi Grant,

I am actually testing with standard PC monitors (SRT and LCDs 17"). Even then the problem persists. And yes, i am experiencing the break down only when i am using Thin clients for connecting to the terminal server. As for the updates, i have no clue on that, coz, the thin client is shipped by WYSE itself for the purpose of testing, before mass ordering for production and deployment.

As i said, the this thin client has its own OS, the WYSE Thin OS, which has nothing but an application for connecting to the terminal server and a few tools for display and network management.

Santosh.

Thank Post
    Are you trying to display full screen video / animation / multimedia etc on the thin client?

Thin clients generally struggle with multimedia.

Butuz

Thank Post
    No multimedia,or animation streaming.

I am just trying to run some heavy applications like firefox, netbeans IDE, etc..

Thank Post
    Santosh, from what you have said it sounds like the WYSE terminal is at fault, have you contacted WYSE I'm sure if you're planning to order quite a few units from them that they will be more than willing to help.

http://www.wyse.com/products/software/firmware/

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread