+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Is it possible . . . in Technical; ... to run two different virtual servers on one machine? I already have MS Virtual PC could I put a ...
    Thank Post

Is it possible . . .

... to run two different virtual servers on one machine? I already have MS Virtual PC could I put a VMware server on as well or would there be a conflict?

Thank Post
    hmmmm.

Each virtual machine can run any operating system supported by the underlying hardware, so you could run two or more different "guest" operating systems simultaneously, in separate "private" virtual computers.

Not entirly sure on this one tho.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Although I know that you can't run Virtual PC and Virtual Server on the same host, and similarly can't run VM Workstation and VM Server on the same host, I don't know of anyone who's tried to have both on the same machine.

I can't think of any reason you couldn't do it, and can't find anything online about incompatibility issues, but I can't think why you'd want to. Is there a specific reason you'd like to do this?

Thank Post
    I've run VMWare Server and MS Virtual PC on the same box under Windows XP.

Butuz

5. Thanks to Butuz from:

leco (22nd April 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Although I know that you can't run Virtual PC and Virtual Server on the same host, and similarly can't run VM Workstation and VM Server on the same host, I don't know of anyone who's tried to have both on the same machine.

I can't think of any reason you couldn't do it, and can't find anything online about incompatibility issues, but I can't think why you'd want to. Is there a specific reason you'd like to do this?
    I already have MS Virtual PC on a machine and am part the way through creating a mirror of my school network. I have been recommended to have a look at VMWare but don't have another box to put it on other than the one with MS VPC. I don't want to unload the part built Vnetwork just to look at another piece of software.

Thanks Butuz - did you have any issues when you did that?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    I already have MS Virtual PC on a machine and am part the way through creating a mirror of my school network. I have been recommended to have a look at VMWare but don't have another box to put it on other than the one with MS VPC. I don't want to unload the part built Vnetwork just to look at another piece of software.
    If you want to be really safe, you could always install it into one of your VPCs.

8. Thanks to jamesb from:

leco (22nd April 2009)

Thank Post
    I also run Virtual PC and VMWare Server on the same machine (XP, was Vista!), with no apparent problems.

Having said that, I've not run them *at the same time*!

@jamesb: we tend to use Virtual PC here for most testing jobs, but VMWare appliances are often good for a quick look at something open-source.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    If you want to be really safe, you could always install it into one of your VPCs.
    Ah yes, that is a thought - thanks James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information