+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, What is VirtualBox? in Technical; Originally Posted by Hightower Or an easier solution would be to build the package machine, and create a restore point. ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Or an easier solution would be to build the package machine, and create a restore point. Then you just need to restore the machine which is about a 2-3 minute process, and the best part is, RM already provide you with the tools to do this meaning you don't have to fork out extra cash or use extra software.
    Why not use VirtualBox which is open source, can create multiple snapshots and produce 'portable' VMs that you can revert to a previous state in seconds rather than minutes? You also don't need an additional physical machine.

2. Thanks to Ric_ from:

dolmandj (24th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used to use Virtualbox under Ubuntu 8.04 for my clean CC3 machine but unfortunately I cant seem to successfully build one under 8.10, stalls at scanning for drivers phase. Could be lots of things, Ubuntu updated, VB updated, HSPs applied to build area but for the life of me can't figure it out. Shame as using virtual machine for this is perfect.

Anyway, using a decent spec machine you can restore a clean machine in under 2mins. Either way is good.

4. Thanks to sparkeh from:

dolmandj (24th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Once you have your base image you can also clone the system with

VBoxManage clonehd VM1.vdi VM2.vdi

that way you can test all kinds of stuff from 1 base image

6. 2 Thanks to linescanner:

Batman (27th March 2009), mikeglover (1st May 2009)

Thank Post
    That's a very useful tip Mr T!

I use Sun Virtualbox for exactly the reasons being discussed here. It's brilliant... I'm really impressed with the latest version. Wouldn't touch the "virtualbox.org" version with a bargepole though, what's the point of it anyway?

For a CC3 network, yes it works brilliantly to build a clean machine in Virtualbox. Once it's built you take a snapshot and then whenever you have built a package you can simply revert to the snapshot... which literally takes a second to do! It's made building packages (especially tricky ones that take a few attempts) very easy.

I've also got a virtual CC3 workstation (useful as I prefer to run linux on my computer) and a virtual webserver. It's immense fun, if you want to try something out... you can just do it!

sparkeh, I'm running the latest Virtualbox on Ubuntu 8.10 (64bit) and it's never been more stable. I'm lucky enough to have a Core2Duo and 2Gb of Ram... Are you using older hardware?

If you are running on older hardware it might be worth going into settings > general > advanced and unticking the "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" tick box. I've found that the "Nested Paging" option can cause some pretty crazy errors on most of the virtual machines I've used too so even if you have a new system it's probably worth disabling it.
    Last edited by Batman; 27th March 2009 at 02:26 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    sparkeh, I'm running the latest Virtualbox on Ubuntu 8.10 (64bit) and it's never been more stable. I'm lucky enough to have a Core2Duo and 2Gb of Ram... Are you using older hardware?

If you are running on older hardware it might be worth going into settings > general > advanced and unticking the "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" tick box. I've found that the "Nested Paging" option can cause some pretty crazy errors on most of the virtual machines I've used too so even if you have a new system it's probably worth disabling it.
    Hardware is fine - Using Core2 Duo T5670 (doesn't do VT ) and 2Gb RAM. Worked brilliantly on that spec until I upgraded to 8.10 - when 9.04 comes out, might do a clean install and try again.

Just out of interest, are you using Host Networking or NAT? At one point I had a suspicion that it was a network problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Just out of interest, are you using Host Networking or NAT? At one point I had a suspicion that it was a network problem.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a network problem. I'm using Host Networking. You'll never get a CC3 workstation to build/smartclient properly through NAT because it needs a direct connection to the network.

Used to have some weird problems with setting up host networking. I'd set up a bridge and create the virtual network interfaces and it would work great, I'd get a great connection on the host pc and the virtual machine, but as soon as I rebooted everything would work on the virtual machine but I'd loose my internet connection (despite being able to access any local network resource) on the host machine. Whilst playing around with it I set up a local proxy server and I could get internet on the host by going through this. So for some reason I think EMBC were rejecting me (if anyone can tell me why this happened I'd be interested to know)!

They've really improved this feature now and host interface works with no configuration, no need to set up bridges and I get the internet on the host machine without problems. A breath of fresh air.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, thinking about it, in 8.04 you had to setup a bridge to get this to work, just been using native host networking in 8.10.

Might clean install 9.04 and try again.

Thank Post
    Are you using the Sun version or the version from the Ubuntu repositories (ose version)?

I've found the Sun version works much much better.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12