+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, What programs do you run on thin clients? in Technical; Originally Posted by adamyoung We mainly run MS Office although they work suprizing well with video (citrix this is). We ...
    Thank Post

Re: What programs do you run on thin clients?

Quote Originally Posted by adamyoung
    We mainly run MS Office although they work suprizing well with video (citrix this is). We also enabled the web client so students can access the apps from home which is really popular.
    I'm presently looking into doing this using Citrix Secure Gateway, quite a way off yet but one thing I have been told is there are licensing considerations that must be taken into account when giving access to suites like Microsoft Office. Although the windows session is running on your windows server, the actual client device needs an office license so it ain't just a case of assigning say 20+ office licenses to the server and restricting connections to office. You have to buy a license for each client device that uses office.

Thank Post

@Ric_ & CyberNerd

Program Neighborhood or full desktop?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I'm presently looking into doing this using Citrix Secure Gateway, quite a way off yet but one thing I have been told is there are licensing considerations that must be taken into account when giving access to suites like Microsoft Office. Although the windows session is running on your windows server, the actual client device needs an office license so it ain't just a case of assigning say 20+ office licenses to the server and restricting connections to office. You have to buy a license for each client device that uses office.
    Certainly you'll need MS CAL's for terminal services - sudents are covered by the external connector lcense. AFIK it is ok to allocate a eg 20 or 30 office licenses to each server, but I'd be interested if you have any more details.

Program Neighborhood or full desktop?
    We publish the full desktop but also the individual apps - for semi-fat clients we can deploy the individual applications but our diskless thinclients are full desktop, hopefully when I get time i'm gonna try and go more towards published apps.

Thank Post

I publish full desktops too.

As for licensing... you need a TS device CAL for every device that wants to access the terminal server, along with a server CAL. AFAIK you nleed as many office licenses as you have clients that can connect. Your MS reseller should be able to help you out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12