+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, HP T5135 to Presentation 4.5..always getting a desktop..help! in Technical; I am new to the forum and also a bit green to Thin Clients and Presetation Server 4.5 so please ...

Thank Post

HP T5135 to Presentation 4.5..always getting a desktop..help!

I am new to the forum and also a bit green to Thin Clients and Presetation Server 4.5 so please be kind. We have presentation server 4.5 running with no problems and people connect to it via a web browser and are presented with the applications (no desktop) just fine. But, when we try and setup via the thin client (debian based) it always gives us a full blown desktop which we don't want. I have looked high and low for docs and setup and can't really find anything useful. Any help would be much appreciated and we really just want the users apps presented and NO desktop. Thanks!

Thank Post
    Are you talking about the T5135? If you are... these run a horrible OS that is cobbled together by HP (not Debian Linux).

You need to change your settings on the 'ICA Settings' tab and make sure you select the published applications and seamless windows settings.

Thank Post

HpT135 to Presentation 4.5..always getting a desktop..help! Reply to Thread

Yes,
    I have decided that the OS does suck. We currently only have 4 of these for testing but definetely would like input on some better ones (preferably HP or cheap something from CDW). As for the setup and such I understand what you are saying just don't quite understand what all exactly needs to be filled out, Sorry!

Thank Post
    You need to add a new ICA connection and then select 'Published Applciation' as the conenction type. This should give you a list of your published applications. You then select the application that you want to make available. There is then a setting for the window size (which may actually default to seamless window).

The T5135 is cheap but they are cheap for a reason IMHO. The T5735 is considerably better but you pay for it!

Thank Post
    The Windows versions of the T5135 are much better. The linux ones are horrid for sure.

Try an Axel thin client - much cheaper and better than the HP's!

Butuz

Thank Post
    We can loan you an M80f for evaluation...

It has RDP and ICA embedded in the hardware, so no operating system at all (why would you want an operating system ?).

You switch on, and in 4 seconds you are presented with the Terminal Server or Citrix log on screen.

The M80f is the fastest thin client terminal available today. It's screen refresh rate is the same as a PC connected over RDP.

The device is the size of a cigarette box and comes with a bracket to mount to rear of TFT monitor and consumes only 5 watts

Butuz (post above) has just received one for testing - hopefully his independant comments will support the above claims...!

If we can send you an eval please follow link below...

AXEL: request a demo unit from Axel Ltd.
    Last edited by Axel; 10th February 2009 at 11:18 AM.

Thank Post
    @Axel: I'm not sure that your client can access the published applications in a seamless window like the OP requires.

Thank Post
    Ric

We connect to Citrix in several ways.

1) Direct connection to any (single) published application. This optionally can be a published "Citrix Desktop", as opposed to a local "thin client" Linux desktop which is what I understood the OP wants to avoid.

2) Alternatively the terminal can be configured to list all applications available to that specific user. This does require logging into a local desktop, which we provide. (ie we provide a "familiar looking" blue desktop with application icons and grey taskbar, but we do not have an underlying operating system to worry about)

3) Axel also provide free of charge a bit of software that lets the adminstrator 'publish' applications on a per user or per group basis. This is primarily aimed at terminal server users, as one of Citrix's main benefits is to provide this function - but it can be used with Citrix (AxMenu)

Thank Post
    And roughly how much do these cost? We could possibly be interested in an eval.

Thank Post
    @Axel: I think you have answered the OP's question now. Cheers!

Thank Post

HpT135 to Presentation 4.5..always getting a desktop..help!

The price in US is not that much different from what we are paying now which is a bummer. As such, we want to try and stay with the embedded linux version vs. embedded XP because of cost. If someone has T5135 working and can help with a setup I'd really appreciate a bit more docs. Thx.

Thank Post
    In UK we do have genuine "educational pricing", as offered. In USA they have their own pricing schedules.

I am not sure if the Linux model you have is still available, so when comparing USA pricing, I suggest you check current price and availablility.
    discontinued Desktops & Workstations - HP Small & Medium Business products

Most people choose Axel, not purely on price, but because we have developed thin-client technology one stage further than the competition by avoiding the use of an operating system altogether....

Good luck in whichever way you choose to go...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread