+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Thin Client nighmare! in Technical; Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad I doubt the TC themselves would be causing an issue - it is afterall just a ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    I doubt the TC themselves would be causing an issue - it is afterall just a citrix/rdp session. I think you need to begin with your server.

Did you not get anywhere by disabling RSOP in group policy?
    Before disabling RSOP the users couldn't even logon, but at least now they can logon but not stable. Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nut-ed View Post
    I agree - it is just an RDP session - but it uses RDesktop - which is an Opensource product, and it depends if 'someone' has upgraded it for W2008, so is a potential cause and something to investigate/eliminate.

Unlike Windows based terminals, where Microsoft obviously support and upgrade the RDP client as necessary, the upgrade responsibility for the Linux based Rdesktop is not so clear...

Citrix is different - as Citrix are not interested in desktops (their interest is in servers) they DO produce a fully supported ICA client for Linux.

I am definitely not knocking Opensource - but it is important users know who is 'responsible', and don't assume "someone" else will always pick up the support tab...

Some manufacturers are reluctant to directly support Linix (mentioning no names) as any improvements they make they are obliged to publish for all - so losing a competitive edge gained from the R&D investment they put in....
    Thanks for your advice- I will definately look into that aswell, check if here is a new an RDesktop version for those terminals to connect to win2008 server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    rdesktop issued a fix for windows server 2008 in May last year:

SourceForge.net: rdesktop-announce

according to their website, 2008 server is supported

Thank Post
    I thought I keep you updated- most of the problems above were sorted eventually after tweaking the GPOs, some settings on the HP clients and installed a few firmware updates for the RAID controllers and the HDDs; but I ogt another problem with these beasts and it's when we have 20 odd users/ students logged in and they try to copy a small folder with 5 documents including an access database, the whole folder is only about 450 KB so not an issue when transferring the folder using the fat clients by the same students as we had the move classroom today- so go to the point: the clients freeze all at the same time, the question now is there a known problem with transferring a database file from a shared area into the users home folder. By the way the shared area and home folders are both locate on the same NAS server.

Any advice or help is appreciated- thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    What Specification is the NAS server?

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    What Specification is the NAS server?

Butuz
    Hi Butuz, sorry forthe delay- the NAs ie Dell PowerVault 770N. We got no problems when using fat clients all runs smoothly.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can I just check a couple of things. From what you've said, I think you're saying that it's OK with a small number of clients but it starts to get slow as you up the number of clients? If that's the case, then I suspect that the software on the client is probably basically OK and it's something to do with the server or the network.

You now need to do some step by step troubleshooting (and that's always hard when everything seems to be falling to pieces!)

If you look at performance monitor on the server, how much CPU is being used when it starts to go slowly? You've got 8 cores so you ought to be seeing all 8 in use - if something weird is going on then you might be seeing 1 core running at near 100% and the rest doing nothing (don't expect that!). If you're seeing all 8 cores looking busy then that suggests that the server is not up to the job - add another one (although I appreciate that's a shed load of money you might not have)

Have a look at the network bandwidth into the server - add a trace for network interface bytes received per second and bytes sent per second; do it for each card. Given that you've got a 100Mbit switch between the server and clients, you're not going to see more than 100Mbit but you might be seeing close to that. If you're seeing 50-60Mbit then that suggests that the network is saturated - you need to put in a gigabit switch.

Back in performance monitor, look at Physical Disc and check the average disk queue length. This should be tiny (less than 1 normally; if it gets to 10 then the world is about to end :-)) I'd be surprised if this is the problem but you haven't said anything about the discs so it's conceivable that they're too slow.

You can also look at RAM used on the server but this is often confusing - Windows will use all available RAM for caching etc so just because you see all RAM in use doesn't mean you need more. (If it's 32 bit Windows then you can't have more than 4Gb; if it's 64 bit then you can put in loads but it may not help)

Hope that helps but you really need some metrics to indicate what's going wrong. Good luck!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Can I just check a couple of things. From what you've said, I think you're saying that it's OK with a small number of clients but it starts to get slow as you up the number of clients? If that's the case, then I suspect that the software on the client is probably basically OK and it's something to do with the server or the network.

You now need to do some step by step troubleshooting (and that's always hard when everything seems to be falling to pieces!)

If you look at performance monitor on the server, how much CPU is being used when it starts to go slowly? You've got 8 cores so you ought to be seeing all 8 in use - if something weird is going on then you might be seeing 1 core running at near 100% and the rest doing nothing (don't expect that!). If you're seeing all 8 cores looking busy then that suggests that the server is not up to the job - add another one (although I appreciate that's a shed load of money you might not have)

Have a look at the network bandwidth into the server - add a trace for network interface bytes received per second and bytes sent per second; do it for each card. Given that you've got a 100Mbit switch between the server and clients, you're not going to see more than 100Mbit but you might be seeing close to that. If you're seeing 50-60Mbit then that suggests that the network is saturated - you need to put in a gigabit switch.

Back in performance monitor, look at Physical Disc and check the average disk queue length. This should be tiny (less than 1 normally; if it gets to 10 then the world is about to end :-)) I'd be surprised if this is the problem but you haven't said anything about the discs so it's conceivable that they're too slow.

You can also look at RAM used on the server but this is often confusing - Windows will use all available RAM for caching etc so just because you see all RAM in use doesn't mean you need more. (If it's 32 bit Windows then you can't have more than 4Gb; if it's 64 bit then you can put in loads but it may not help)

Hope that helps but you really need some metrics to indicate what's going wrong. Good luck!
    Hi Steve, Thanks for your help with this- the engineer from european electronique has checked the disks, memory and network activity and they all seem OK now- well after he had installed all firmware updates for the RAID, disks and SCSI. He now thinks it could be one of the CPUs (dual quad core CPUs on server and 8GB RAM) he's coming in the morning to replace it and if that dosn't work he remove win 2008 enterprise server 64bit and install win 2003 R2 instead. I will keep you all posted after that, I hope it'll get sorted otherwise they're going to have the whole lot back as we haven't paid yet.

Regards

Thank Post
    Hi guys- just to let you all know that the ightmare is now over and everything is running smoothly and as it should; we had to scrap win 2008 server enterprise 64bit and re-installed win 2003 R2 server and now all is much better, faster and very stable too.
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by armadillo; 20th January 2009 at 09:58 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12