+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, More virtualisation questions :) in Technical; Originally Posted by DMcCoy Does it work without a shared storage medium? Live migration? Sure. You have to have the ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Does it work without a shared storage medium?
    Live migration? Sure. You have to have the same data available on both machines somehow, of course - that's what our DRBD mirrored volumes are for. You also have to make sure both sides of the DRBD mirror are set to writeable - the default is to have one writeable, one read-only. Then it's just a case of doing "xm migrate --live ...".

You also keep saying centeralised storage is not something most schools would be interested in, but there are a great many of us here who have already done so. It certainly wasn't common when I did ours some years ago, but it's worth looking at for any large school these days.
    There's got to be a cut-off point somewhere, I just know it - some point where having a central SAN is better value for money than mirrored volumes. Right, time for some calculations...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw View Post
    Xen Express doesn't only the paid for versions?
    I'm starting to get the feeling we're talking about slightly different products here. I'm talking about the open source version of Xen, in particular the one available simply by choosing the "virtualisation" option when installing Red Hat / CentOS. I know Ubuntu has support for Xen, too, but the release I tried (7.04?) crashed.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah yes we are I'm talking about the XenServer Express edition sold by Citrix based on Xen open source product. Sorry wires crossed.

Talking of Citrix anyone know of any deals going on as I was quoted £156 per license (looking for 130 licenses roughly £20,000) not exactly cheap.

Wes

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Live migration? Sure. You have to have the same data available on both machines somehow, of course - that's what our DRBD mirrored volumes are for. You also have to make sure both sides of the DRBD mirror are set to writeable - the default is to have one writeable, one read-only. Then it's just a case of doing "xm migrate --live ...".

There's got to be a cut-off point somewhere, I just know it - some point where having a central SAN is better value for money than mirrored volumes. Right, time for some calculations...

--
    David Hicks

I didn't realise it could quick migrate when disk mirroring, quite handy that (at least in the open source version). I believe it's hyper-v thats missing a quick migration feature completely.

One of the reasons I've been using vmware for so long is this:

None of my blade CPUs support virtualisation extensions, this still works fine for vmware but rules xen and hyper-v out, also means I can't have 64 bit VMs. The cpu's themselves are actually 64 bit, so I have 8GB ram still, they are very early 64 bit single core xeons.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123