+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Citrix Costs in Technical; Hi I have to replace a whole classroom and the start of next financial year another (both with 20-30 PC's). ...
    Thank Post

Citrix Costs

Hi

I have to replace a whole classroom and the start of next financial year another (both with 20-30 PC's).

Now I think this would be a good time to possibly go down the thin client route.

Could someone let me know everything I would need, ie. servers, spec (I guess one decent one for 20 clients??, licenses (Citrix) or others.

I need all the basics as I need to present it to SLT. I have used Citrix with my old employer but do not know what's needed in the way of server(s) licenses, costs etc.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Also, we run CSE workspace explorer.net but I have been told this will not run on Citrix so these would need to be configured differently.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Citrix runs on top of Terminal Server, so you need CAL's for Windows Server, Terminal Server and Citrix. As well has all the relevant Citrix software. The question becomes why Citrix? You'll probably find a straight Terminal Server will do what you want and in doing so cuts out a level of cost and complexity that Citrix adds. You may also want to look at Windows Server 2008. I believe Terminal Server in 2008 has been upgraded to compete with and include a lot of the features of Citrix.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Citrix runs on top of Terminal Server, so you need CAL's for Windows Server, Terminal Server and Citrix. As well has all the relevant Citrix software. The question becomes why Citrix? You'll probably find a straight Terminal Server will do what you want and in doing so cuts out a level of cost and complexity that Citrix adds. You may also want to look at Windows Server 2008. I believe Terminal Server in 2008 has been upgraded to compete with and include a lot of the features of Citrix.
    A plain terminal server more than likely *wouldn't* do what they want, as it has terrible support for flash and other multimedia applications (ie. 90% of what the kids use online now).

Citrix licenses cost about £175 a go
    A server would be about £3k or so for that many clients.
    Terminal Service CALS vary depending on how you do your microsoft licensing but are a few quid each.

Clients can be reused old machines (using something like 2X Thin Client Server, or ThinStation) or can be purpose built machines. So can vary from £0 each to £600 (for all in one fancy machines) depending on what you want.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread