+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Connection dropping for a split second to ESX Host when in VI Client in Technical; Hi there, Just wondering if anyone can helpme out with a pretty major problem we are having with out ESX ...

Thank Post

Connection dropping for a split second to ESX Host when in VI Client

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can helpme out with a pretty major problem we are having with out ESX server (3.0.2 build 52542) and VI Client 2.0.2 (Build 50618). We are currenly running about 5 vm machines running windows 200, 2003 and 2008 server. One of the servers is used to store people's windows roaming profile andworks fine without a problem most of the time.

I have major problems when i try and do anything in the VI Client from my desktop. I recently tried to build another couple of machines in there and every so often the VI client hangs for a few seconds and the whole office's (50 users) desktops disappear and they have to log out and back in again. As you can imagine i get a lot of stick for this. The drop outs happen when i try and reboot any of the new virtual machines I am trying to put together.

Admittedly the server isn't finely performance optimised. The server is a 2 x quadcore xeons with 8 gb of ram and I dont think the VM's put the hardware under considerable amount of stress.

This is increasingly becoming a big problem as we have had to build a couple of new servers as VMs and ended up having to get a couple of desktops and install VMware server to get them up and running. As we have left the ESX server alone for two weeks it has been working fine.

Anyone any ideas? I know it is a broad subject but i would appreciate any tips. I was thinking about upgrading the client and esx box to the latest edition.

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Hello,

Yes would be advantegous to upgrade to VM ESX 3.5 Update 2 (the re-released version without the time bug). This has a few nice extra features in.

Have you got the VM Service Console and Virtual Machines on a seperate virtual networks connected to different physical network ports?

Rob

Thank Post
    No i havent got them on separate networks. Its just on the default setup. I will look into getting them running separately.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread