+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, HP Compaq t5135 in Technical; To clarify my point above... I bought 30 units when the t5125 reached end of life - I foolishly assumed ...

Thank Post
    To clarify my point above... I bought 30 units when the t5125 reached end of life - I foolishly assumed that these were a straight replacement.
    • The OS on the terminals is some kind of hacked-to-death Linux-based distro that isn't really Linux any more.
    • The Altiris client on the terminals does not work properly - it's only any good for setting the time and powering the units on/off.
    • You cannot use the capture/deploy scripts that you can use on the t5125 and t5725 units.
    • Some of the settings are 'get attable' which means you ocasionally need to reconfigure them (a job that must be done manually!).

In use, the terminals are great... they just work.. however, it takes a long time to set them up - even if you manage to decipher the FTP-based configuration instructions... for the 30 I had it didn't seem like a productive use of my time.

Thank Post
    No Thinstate utility then?

Guess i'll find out soon enough anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can copy the SDD image to a pen stick and re-image on mass from there. As I said above we keep an image to hand permanently for when the little darling factory reset them for us!

Thank Post
    Ah that's ok then.

Might give one of the Axle units a whirl when i get time.

Thank Post
    If you fill in the link on:

AXEL: request a demo unit from Axel Ltd.

We'll send you one to have a look at and you can be the judge.... it only takes 30 seconds to set up from scratch, less time than most other thin-clients take to boot! The only obligation is that you send it back if it does not suite your requirements. The key benefits you would see are

Much easier to setup up

Instant booting (<5 seconds)

Intuitive Remote Management Software (supplied fully featured at no charge)

Much smaller (size of cigarette packet) and comes with TFT VESA mounting kit

Much lower power consumption (6w)

Support direct from the manufacturer

All "components" ie RDP/ICA protocols, remote management software, setup menus,
    boot microcode and hardware are all exclusively written and designed in-house by Axel, so all the "compromises" of the integrating third party products are avoided.

We have supplied over 50 evals to various "Edugeekers", if you do a search on Axel on this site you will find numerous posts giving various descriptions and photos

(Graphics support is 1280x1024 and wide screen res 1400x900).

Axel are the third largest thin client manufacturer in UK, all development and manufacturer is done in Europe. We have sold approaching 1 million terminals - though we have only been focusing on the educational market for the last few months. We offer genuine special educational pricing.

Two final points from posts above, As Axel have no operating system there is none of this "pressing x" key to interrupt boot, the setup is password protected. If the password is kept save there is zero possibilily for any student to tamper with the setup. Finally RDP (or ICA) require around 3Mb and very little CPU power. All other memory on a thin client minus this amount is used solely to host the operating system or other peripheral programs. So by removing the operatring system you remove the need for most of the hardware - which is the key reason why Axel's use less power, are smaller, and cost less...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Any downsides to the Axel units, graphics capabilities for e.g.?
    The only current downside is the Axel units do not pass through sound from the server, infact they don't even have a headphone socket! This would not really a problem for me as sound is not used in the areas I currently use thin clients in.

I did some multimedia testing with watching videos etc and the Axel client performed pretty much identically to the t5135 - they both could not display full screen video very well, though if you made the video much smaller, they could display it much better. Both were able to display flash sites e.g games, and animation, but not flash videos.

This though, is the same for all current "cheap" thin clients, and the Axel is by far the cheapest! I've no doubt one of the more expensive HP Thin Clients would fare much better with multimedia - but then at £300-£400 for a thin client I would expect it to do alot more than multimedia too!!! (make Coffee, take me to and from school, etc...)

Butuz

Thank Post
    Do you know if sound is something that might be added in the future?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, in a previous thread it was revealed that they will be using a USB dongle to add sound to the devices.

Axel AX3000 m70

Thank Post
    We plan to release a new version of the M70 in October. It will be same size as the current model, but deliver 4 x the performance and we are anticipating it will be the first thin client that is capable of multi-media video support. Pricing is not released yet - but should still be well below that of Linux and CE based terminals... As Geoff says above we plan to deliver sound via USB (this is one direction the industry seems to be going with the latest generation of mobile phones and similar products - though we plan to support a USB to phono dongle convertor for those who don't want to use USB headphones)

Thank Post
    Well in the end HP sent us some WinCE ones anyway, it turns out that you can disable the F9 on bootup feature.

Also the thinstate util allows you to deploy an image from a reference client to the others over the network so no need for USB sticks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Glad to hear you got the WinCE ones and they worked out for you. You've listed probably the biggest two reasons why I'd pay extra for the WinCE clients over the Linux ones in the future. Add to that you can turn off the taskbar and HP Quickconnect (I think thats what they called it) software in user mode on these. On the Linux boxes, if you turn the HP software off in user mode the clients will not auto connect!

Thank Post
    On the Linux boxes, if you turn the HP software off in user mode the clients will not auto connect!
    Yes i've found this to be a pain. I've removed GNOME and made the user autologon and launch the Citrix client which is fine but once the citrix client is closed the user can't reopen it. You can set it to be persistent so it reopens but that's not ideal as it keeps a Citrix session open. Also when you insert a USB drive the GNOME browser pops up over the Citrix session so you can then access the local drives and browse the network and so on also it confuses the users.

I've contacted HP about this so we'll see what they say.

Thank Post
    On the WinCE model the thinstate util seems much better you can mirror a device to another over the network in seconds, very handy.

I have noticed an issue with our T5530's and that is that they never turn off so concequently the HP monitor stays on ALL the time, as soon as i turn off the TC device the monitor goes to sleep. When i look in help on the TC device it mentions power saving a sleep options but i can 't find any settings in WinCE.

Can anyone help?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12