+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Virtulalising a Webserver (on UNIX) in Technical; Hey guys, we recently had our servers installed, and thr guy putting them in, moved all our old servers from ...

Thank Post

Virtulalising a Webserver (on UNIX)

Hey guys, we recently had our servers installed, and thr guy putting them in, moved all our old servers from physical to virtual volumes using ESXi from VMWare. However, we still have some other "servers" running on older equipment, as well as desktop machines, which I would like to put somewhere else around the place.

One of the desktop's is running our webserver, running on Linux. I have zilch Linux experience, and was wondering if anyone had virtualised linux using ESXi?

Regards
    Mark

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only problem with vitalising a webserver is that it has to stay static on host machine and can't be moved when you put it in virtual mode. The Webserver should be in a DMZ for security so it will be in a separate port in the switch or even in a different switch to the rest of the network.

I can't see there being any problems with the OS being virtualised, i would just give it a go and see what happens.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markwilliamson2001 View Post
    I have zilch Linux experience, and was wondering if anyone had virtualised linux using ESXi?
    Not on ESXi, but with Xen, and then I simply copied the Linux machine's filesystem to the new virtual machine's filesystem and booted it up. I'm guessing you might do best to boot up your new virtual machine with disks attached and with an ISO of something like SystemRescueCD pretending to be your CD-ROM drive. Then just use rsync from the command line to copy the stuff from your current webserver to the new virtual machine's disk.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    VMWare have a free free to download ISO with VMWare Convertor on it, check there website. Virtualised loads of physical servers with it, works a dream. In fact is virtualising my last physical server as I type over this weekend!

You'll almost certainly have to re-assign the static IP to the server after it has been virtualised as it would have virtualy installed a new NIC. I can't see any probs after that so long as the static IP of the webserver is in the DMZ and is not expected to be on a different VLAN.

I havent used ESXi - ESX 3.02/3.5 here - but if it's like the other ESX's then dependent on your physical switch you can create a VSwitch and attach the new VNIC to that switch and then put that VSwitch/connection on the appropriate VLAN.

Thank Post
    I knew about VMware converter, but it only works on Windows physical and some third party formats (Norton save and restore) not linux.

I suppose the easiest thing would be to install a new webserver in virtualised format (as Linux from CD or ISO) and then copy the webserver files across (using rsync) or some other way.

Thanks anyway.

Mark

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Another method that's worth a try - Ghost. I've virtualised machines this way in the past when Convertor hasn't worked. Great a Ghost Image of the server in question. Create a new VM with a virtual hdd the right size. Then bring down the Ghost Image on the new virtual hdd.

Thank Post
    I know vmware converter can use Norton Ghost images to change them directly to vm's. I don't fancy buying Ghost just to do this, as we use WDS (legacy) normally, so might go down my previous route, maybe using Ubuntu, as I have experience of that at home.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that you can use or convert dd images if you don't fancy buying ghost. but to be honest I think your best bet is just moving the config files over like you suggest.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread