+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Virtualise Ubuntu, Dans Guardian and Xp in Technical; Hi All, Hope this is the right forum to ask this in if not can a mod move it to ...

Thank Post

Virtualise Ubuntu, Dans Guardian and Xp

Hi All,

Hope this is the right forum to ask this in if not can a mod move it to somewhere appropriate thanks.

I am trying to reduce the clutter of PCS in our Centre. The old workstation I was using for our content filtering loaded with Ubuntu Server and Dans Guardian had just died the death. I have a similar machine that is also running xp simply to syncronise with our weather station and upload results to the website that feels like its on its last legs.
    I am a total noob with Virtualisation but have this idea that I could use an old Fujitsu Celsius (2.8 P4 Hyper threaded, 1gb Ram, 140gb UATA HD) server I have lying around to run both operations.

My head is exploding with all of the VM options and I would like someone with more experience to point me in the right direction if possible please.These are the options I have come up with.

1/Install Ubuntu with Dans Guardian as the base OS and then run kvm with XP as the VM on it for the weather station ?

2/ Install Xp as the base OS running VMware ( which edition?) with Ubuntu and Dansguardian on the VM.

3/ Run a very lite version of linux with both dansguardian and xp as VMs?

Its important that which ever way I do this that if we get a powercut (and we do a lot here) when the machine switches on it reboots and all of the Vms fire up ready to carry on.

I would like also to do this a cheap as possible.

Any help as always will be gratefully received

Shorty

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I could use an old Fujitsu Celsius (2.8 P4 Hyper threaded, 1gb Ram, 140gb UATA HD) server I have lying around to run both operations.
    to use KVM (or xen with windows guest) you need a processor that is 'capable' of virtualisation (intel VT).

personally I'd go with option 3 - but with vmware. or check if vmware esxi will be ok with your hardware.

Thank Post
    Cheers CyberNerd I will go have a look at the vmware esxi specs

Thank Post
    Cheers CyberNerd I will go have a look at the vmware esxi specs
    Doh ESX Server doesn't recognise the Fujitsu

Thank Post
    I would recommend getting us much as possible running on the base so option 1.

There's an overhead running VMs and that avoids some of it and gives you a more stable base.

Can you downgrade to 2000 if the weather software supports it to get more mileage?

If you get a lot of power cuts maybe a UPS?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Doh ESX Server doesn't recognise the Fujitsu
    In that case, go for option 2 with VMWare Server. VMWare Server has the ability to auto-start VMs on startup. It's better (IMO) to have both machines virtualised so you can easily migrate them later.

I've only just heard of VMWare ESXi after getting the email from VMWare this week. It's something definitely I'll look into though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,802 Times in 1,551 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would definitely go for Linux for the host OS, go a much less memory footprint.

Thank Post
    I would definitely go for Linux for the host OS, go a much less memory footprint.

Mm its looking like linux as the base OS isn't going to be an option with the none Intel VT cpus Xen my last hope needs VT to run windows

Going to try the Xp with VMware server as I have found a pre made VMware imaga that has Centos and Dansguardian configured already.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Mm its looking like linux as the base OS isn't going to be an option with the none Intel VT cpus Xen my last hope needs VT to run windows
    vmware server runs on headless linux boxes, afaik its only xen and kvm that need VT

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    vmware server runs on headless linux boxes, afaik its only xen and kvm that need VT
    That is correct, I have done it with Ubuntu 6.04 and 8.08 LTS.

Thank Post
    Another vote for VMware Server here..we use it on an XP base to run all of our netsupport room terminals and VPN access stations, as well as our personell and accounts packages, and a print server. In theory our new servers in the new building will be ESX3i, so we're virtualising all we can now so that it'll just be a case of copy the whole VM over, and off we go again.

Great fun..

Thank Post
    Great Thanks for all the help guys, I have VMserver up and running on an xp box running centos with dansguardian

But now I know VMware works on linux without VT I might actually try this the other way around and install the Centos/DG OS as base try to get VMserver on and put xp as the guest with a really lite install of xp. I am working on the basis there that the linux box has more chance of staying up and stable than an xp one ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am working on the basis there that the linux box has more chance of staying up and stable than an xp one ?
    Code:
    root@goliath:~# uptime
     12:10:20 up 214 days, 22:24,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.14, 0.16

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread