+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, VMWare ESXi released for free today. in Technical; You have to be more careful about the hardware you choose, but a cheap test rig can be built pretty ...

Thank Post

VMWare ESXi released for free today.

You have to be more careful about the hardware you choose, but a cheap test rig can be built pretty easily.

VMware ESXi, Hypervisor for Server Virtualization - VMware
    http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx...ver_config.pdf
    Updated HCL: HCL: Systems Compatibility Guide For ESX Server 3.5 and ESX Server 3i
    Examples of cheap "home lab" setups that work: ESX home lab hardware shopping list | VM /ETC

2. 2 Thanks to pete:

dhicks (28th July 2008), FN-GM (28th July 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    VMWare ESXi released for free today.
    How is it VMWare's system works, how do VMWare make their money? Am I right in thinking that you can install their VM system (VMWare ESX/ESXi) on as many servers as you like but you pay for the management system (Infrastructure Foundation/Structure/Enterprise)?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looking good! I think I may upgrade from VMWare Server to this, and cram some more VM's on a server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    How is it VMWare's system works, how do VMWare make their money? Am I right in thinking that you can install their VM system (VMWare ESX/ESXi) on as many servers as you like but you pay for the management system (Infrastructure Foundation/Structure/Enterprise)?

--
    David Hicks
    Main thing is ESXi <> ESX, the latter comes with more management tools and HA/failover/DR options like vmotion and costs a lot, the former used to cost a lot less and is now free. I noticed it was about to be released in a thread on arstechnica:

VMware ESX 3i for free - Topic Powered by eve community

When you sign up for a licence, it asks how many (physical) cpus you're likely to install ESXi on - limit is 999/licence.

Their profit model is something along the lines of "wow, let's use cool free thing to make our servers easier to manage". <Interlude> "Now, it would be nice if we could do $foo and $free_version does work well - let's see if we can afford Virtual Infrastructure".

EMC (who own VMware) also recently sacked the VMware CEO on tenuous grounds and she'd been behind a lot of the good stuff coming out of VMware. Their shareprice went to crap as a result and this may be a way of boosting it back to previous levels.

Thank Post

--
    David Hicks
    That sounds about right, revenue from such a highly competitive field such as virtualization is in 'added value' offerings. So enterprise features, management add-ons, performance and monitoring tools, and the very lucrative design and consultancy revenue. That's how they can provide gsx and now esxi installable for free.

As competition hots up expect other features like HA to be incorporated into the base products. It's like with any sector, when a market leader has it their own way or they have features that are new and cool they can charge for these extras... once customers start looking at alternatives or those whizzbang features are being replicated by competitors concessions are made to include features that were once additional cost options. It happens ovennight, a feature that was once 2.5k list is suddenly available for free. Normally a sign that take up on those options was less than enthisiastic so they start giving it away.....but not always to do with take up, often competition and technical developemnents also force changes in pricing policies.

Vmware has grown phenomenally quickly, but there are signs that growth is not accelerating as fast as EMC would like. Giving stuff away is a good strategy of getting people using the product, becoming potential new customers when their requirements become a bit more complicated.

@pete - i think the difference is between ESXi and VI3, where those options through the VI3 enteprise feature set become available....although i'm not sure on what the upgrade path from ESXi to VI3 is. ESX itself doesn't enable the likes of vmotion and DRS without add cost feature licences.
    Last edited by torledo; 28th July 2008 at 03:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, could be handy

Thank Post
    So ESXi is free, VMWare Server is free, but ESX and the management tools cost money. Damn companies and their confusing licensing. I won't be moving from Xen anytime soon, but VMWare looks like it might be worth a play around with at some point (and it does look as though there are more ready-made servers and migration tools available for it).

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Here's a link to a list of white boxes that will run ESXi - ESX 3.5 and 3i White boxes and working SATA controllers It may be that you have something around the office that could run this so you could do a test install and give the conversion process a test.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've converted a couple of Ubuntu images over to it now, to see how they run. Having some problems setting up vmware tools on them though, so currently neither have network access

Thank Post
    Does any VM system vendor offer a virtual machine that can be packaged with an application? I mean, say if I have a server (i.e. web) based application based on Ubuntu, that I configure with all the libraries and so forth that my application needs to run. I'd like to be able to distribute that application as a standard Windows-style all-in-one executable installer, but instead of installing a Windows application the installer would install a VM that ran my Ubuntu server. It'd also be handy if the VM system could be packaged so that when started up a port number on the Windows machine would be forwaded to a port on the virtual machine, i.e. no "bridged connection" business would be installed in the machine's network settings page to confuse the end user.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does any VM system vendor offer a virtual machine that can be packaged with an application?
    VMWare have been using the term appliances for a while now and there are lots avalible that can run on the free VMWare Player platform. I am not sure how integrated this is though with regard to a single click installer.

Virtual Appliance Marketplace, Virtual Appliances, VMware Appliance - VMware

Microsoft also provides VM copies of some of its server software for evaluation like ISA server 2006 and Exchange 2007. I have not seen any third parties go down this route though.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    free esx? good find that man i may give this a play later

Thank Post
    With a bit of hacking config files, this works on those cheap Proliant ML115s that a few edugeekers (including myself) bought.

(yes, I had a very geeky weekend)

Thank Post
    Can ESXi do its own RAID or does it need a h/w RAID card under it?

Thank Post
    You will need a card. Onboard SATA controllers like the intel ICH will show individual disks.

I did install ESXi on my PowerEdge 700 at home with a Dell CERC 6ch sata card (which is really an adaptec 2610a)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast