+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Anyone using HP T5735 Thin Client terminals? in Technical; Well i do already have several pointing to one box but backup exec wouldn't let me do it without the ...
    Thank Post
    Well i do already have several pointing to one box but backup exec wouldn't let me do it without the media server which we don't have so three servers run that and sql express as well.

Also it says that it needs MSDE which we don't have running anywhere only SQL 2005 express now.

Thank Post
    I've received some documentation to setup the box to use r-kiosk when it logs in as the ordinary user, the nautilus and gnome panel is also removed so there is no desktop. One problem i'm having here though is that i can't then swap users in the gui i can use Ctl+Alt+F4 to get to the cli then login as root but when i hit Ctl+Alt+F7 it takes me back to the user desktop with no interface other than firefox in kiosk mode. Can i log this user out when the gnome panel is not running and login as root?

Thank Post
    @cookie_monster: It's a bit of a hack but if you delete the user named 'user' (deluser user) at the CLI, then kill the X server, you should be able to log into X. Re-add the user and then autologin will work again.

Thank Post
    I'll give that a go tomorrow cheers Ric.

While i've got you i don't suppose you want to cast your eye at this thread on citrix printing Terminal server logon script for printers i followed your guide in the wiki but it's not working.

Thank Post
    I'm now having trouble getting synaptic to connect to the HP ftp repository i can access the http ones but it fails to connect to ftp ones. I've set the ftp proxy address in HP network manager but still no joy, i can browse the ftp folder using the browser on the client though.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    set the username and password for the proxy in the proxy address?

If you have a few machines, I suggest using or setting up a debian 4 server / vm (or using a current lamp one) to run apt-cacher.

You then point all the apt configs to the local server, it fetches the updates on the first call and holds them for the other 100 machines that ask for it. Auto-expires superceded packages as well.

Works much better than having to download and maintain a full repository mirror.

On server:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install apt-cacher

Thank Post
    There isn't supposed to be a username or password for the EMBC proxy so i don't think that's the issue, i can browse the server from a browser without authentication.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    I can connect to this site using filezilla through our proxy without using a username or password but synaptic is still failing, it will access http repositories but not ftp still.

Any ideas if there is another setting that i've missed? I think all triffic is supposed to be directed to the http proxy on embc, i dont specify an ftp address or port in filezilla. I notice that apt is trying port 21 (which is of course ftpś port) but im not sure if it sould use 80 for the proxy and then that does the fetching. Any idea?

I get this error
    ftp.hp.com/pub/tcdebian/dists/dists/t5735/Release.gpg:[/url] Could not connect to ftp.hp.com:21 (15.193.112.23), connection timed out

I don't know why it says '/dists/dists' as the url in a browser only lists that once.

This is whatś in sources.list

Code:
    deb ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/tcdebian/dists/ t5735 main non-free  
    deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ etch main

Cheers.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 19th August 2008 at 10:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Just out of interest _Ric, do those scripts work with the T5135? Or have you managed to get one of those working correctly with altiris?

Thank Post
    @Lee_K_81: The scripts DO NOT work with the t5135 which IMHO are the worst terminal HP could have made! The scripts do work with the t5125 though if you have those.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @Lee_K_81: The scripts DO NOT work with the t5135 which IMHO are the worst terminal HP could have made! The scripts do work with the t5125 though if you have those.
    Nope, 160 t5135s. Have you had a look at the new image? It looks better than the previous ones. Is a lot more tightly locked down. Kids now can't change the user experience settings in "user mode". Maybe the new image will lead to the altiris scripts eventually working!

Thank Post
    @ kesomir: I've installed Altiris and configured the Db, my clients are showing up and i can reboot them a start them remotly but i can't capture a configuration. If i send the capture command the client reboots a couple of times but the config doesn't show in the console, is there a set of permissions that need adding to the share to allow it to upload the config?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    @ kesomir: I've installed Altiris and configured the Db, my clients are showing up and i can reboot them a start them remotly but i can't capture a configuration. If i send the capture command the client reboots a couple of times but the config doesn't show in the console, is there a set of permissions that need adding to the share to allow it to upload the config?

Cheers.
    Are you sure you followed the instructions?

I have a feeling that you didn't install the DOS environment to be PXE booted to run the automation tasks.

It's a separate download and then setup in altiris

Thank Post
    Ah you could be right i'll take a look at that i thought installing the PXE server added the boot agent i do remember seeing something now.

How does the PXE server play with WDS any idea of issues running 2 PXE servers will i have to give Altiris all of the MAC addresses?

As an update to my earlier mention of Power Saving i've tried this and it works pretty well, HP don't support it but it's so simple i can't imagine there being many issues. It basically turns off the client if it's not in use but you can set core hours that you don't want it to work.

Autopoweroff: User Guide
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 19th August 2008 at 10:25 PM.

Thank Post
    @cookie_monster: Did you add the share details to the script?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast