+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Anyone using HP T5735 Thin Client terminals? in Technical; @cookie_monster: A license for Altiris is included with the terminals - just download it from the Altiris website. The great ...

Thank Post
    @cookie_monster: A license for Altiris is included with the terminals - just download it from the Altiris website.

The great thing about the Linux-based terminals is that most of the config is just text files. You just configure one, copy the relevant config files to another one, reboot it and the job is done.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As you seem to know what you're doing Ric, would it be possible to provide some form of basic tutorial on how to setup and use altiris?

Thank Post
    I must of misunderstood Ric i looked on the Symantec site and there seemed to be a charge for the server end i know there is a client licence with each unit, i'll take another look.

Could you elaborate on the location of these text files regarding power management?

I was planning on configuring one terminal and using the HP thinstate utility to deploy the image to the other units.
    These are our first Debian thin client devices and the HP manual doesn't mention using config files at all. As localzuk
    says it would be great if you could provide a few pointers, no rush

Thanks.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 22nd July 2008 at 02:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    So are you guys using Altiris Deployment Solution then? apparently a full license is included with each unit.

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/PDF/4AA1-7041EEE.pdf

More importantly do you have to buy the Altiris Deployment Solution?

SO HP the ThinState utility it is then by the looks of it.
    I use altiris with them - a client license is included with each of the thin clients - no further purchase necessary for the server component, and no annual fees. Theres a slighlty different download which is linked from HP.

Thank Post
    I'm looking on the HP site and it redirects to the same Symantec page, is this the product that i'm after "Deployment Solution for Clients 6.9 322 MB" ???

HP Compaq t5735 Thin Client- HP Compaq Thin Clients - Altiris License - c00872163 - HP Business Support Center

Thank Post
    So did you manage to get it locked down then in the end cookie_monster?

Thank Post
    @cookie_monster: The link ( Deployment Solution for HP Thin Clients - Altiris, Inc. ) on that page takes you to a download link for 'Deployment Solution'.

@localzuk: There already some information on the wiki at Altiris Deployment Scripts for HP thin clients - EduGeek.net Wiki There's more instructions in the script pack that I point to on the wiki.

As for power saving, what I tend to do is simply switch the machines off before I go home... a simple right-click can be used to WOL, power off and restart. Changing the client configuration (e.g. hostname, IP, etc.) is another right-click task. Everything else can be done by pushing bash scripts out to the terminals - these can be used for copying config files or even installing software!

There seems to be a few of us using these now and I think that sharing scripts and configs would be useful... please add to the wiki (or contact one of the wiki monkeys - FN-GreaterManchester or Edu-Tech).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @localzuk: There already some information on the wiki at Altiris Deployment Scripts for HP thin clients - EduGeek.net Wiki There's more instructions in the script pack that I point to on the wiki.
    Indeed. However, that doesn't actually mean anything to me as I have zero knowledge of Altiris, so don't know what to do with them... And the symantec site is a mess to find the right instruction manual.

Thank Post
    @ Oops_my_bad: I have been provided with a document on turning the unit into a kiosk mode which as far as i can tell opens firefox in full screen mode and then open the Citrix web connection. I was then going to use the HP thin state to deploy the clients using a USB drive.

I'm going to have look at Altiris as well to see how this works but i read that it's only worth setting up if you have hundreds of clients.

Ric is it worth me installing Altiris at the moment with only 30 units? I'm a bit short on time.

Thank Post
    @localzuk: Altiris is easy to use - there's nothing to break.

@cookie_monster: The manual makes out that installation is a lengthy process... it really isn't. 30 terminals is doable with Thinstate but watch that the terminals don't all end up with the same hostname. You'll also find it easier in the long run when it comes to re-imaging them (which you seem to need to do occasionally).

Thank Post
    Altiris rocks - just make sure to read the instructions carefully to get it all working

You need the dos image not the linux one for pxe booting I found.

It means you can set up one device, image it via altiris then deploy it to all the others / select others / none - just keep for archiving.

Very useful, even if you only have one room of them.

Can also do remote shutdown and wakeup via altiris, although my timed shtdown is quirky and needs looking at

Thank Post
    Will the PXE boot feature work ok alongside WDS?

What requirements are there for installation e.g IIS and so on, can it go on pretty much any spec box?

Thank Post
    Will the PXE boot feature work ok alongside WDS?

What requirements are there for installation e.g IIS and so on, can it go on pretty much any spec box?
    I haven't played with PXE boot so I couldn't comment.

Altiris Deployment Solution doesn't seem particularly heavy. It needs SQL but I think it comes with MSDE (if not just use SQL Express).

Thank Post
    Damn everything seems to need SQL express these days, i'll be running it on every box soon.

Thank Post
    Damn everything seems to need SQL express these days, i'll be running it on every box soon.
    Why not run it on one box and point all your apps to that box? That's the way it is designed to work you know

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast