+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Wanted: A really tough test for thin client in Technical; I was looking at thin client to replace our curriculum machines but was put off by the adverse comments regarding ...

Thank Post

Wanted: A really tough test for thin client

I was looking at thin client to replace our curriculum machines but was put off by the adverse comments regarding multimedia. Since then, the money allocated has been reduced dramatically and we cannot afford to go that route.

I have a potential supplier coming in next week to talk thin client. I tired to put them off using the above arguments. The guy's response was that they can overcome any multimedia problems we might have.

Can anyone recommend a test that thin client will really struggle with?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Graphics/Audio/Video Editing. Games.

Thank Post
    As geoff said - Photoshop!! IIRC CS3 refused to install on W2K3 point blank!!

Thank Post
    Keep us posted on the outcome, I'm sure we'll all be interested in the results!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    As geoff said - Photoshop!! IIRC CS3 refused to install on W2K3 point blank!!
    With a bit of messing about it can be made to work

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I was looking at thin client to replace our curriculum machines but was put off by the adverse comments regarding multimedia. Since then, the money allocated has been reduced dramatically and we cannot afford to go that route.

I have a potential supplier coming in next week to talk thin client. I tired to put them off using the above arguments. The guy's response was that they can overcome any multimedia problems we might have.

i would have thought anything which involves full motion video, even something as basic as windows movie maker would be near unusable for most thin client solutions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Chess.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    i would have thought anything which involves full motion video, even something as basic as windows movie maker would be near unusable for most thin client solutions.
    Movie Maker will actually refuse to run from a W2k3 server via terminal services, so it's a good one to ask for.

Thank Post
    There are two considerations to consider..!

Some applications simply won't run on TC as they require local (PC) resources that most TC don't have. (Maybe a powerful XP based TC would work here - but they tend to cost more than PCs so may eliminate themselves...)

Regarding performance - running any movie in full screen mode, at high resolution is about as bad as it gets for thin-clients. (so MSmediaplayer, VLC etc).

NOT YouTube or other browser based apps as they tend to cache data

Thin clients are all about moving pixels from server to client, (and mounse kb strokes in opposite direction) so full screen, max resolution in real (32bit) colour will throw the max possible data at the TC to process...

TCs depend a lot on caching to deliver performance - and real time video, by definition can't use caching - as each frame is different...

Other applications may put more load on the server and network, which may be the next bottleneck if the TC bottleneck is removed, but that is a different matter

Also check for video/sound syncronisation - this will probably be the first thing to break before the video/sould go juddery

Good luck and let us know what the outcome is....

10. 2 Thanks to nut-ed:

joe90bass (12th June 2008), laserblazer (13th June 2008)

Thank Post
    I've got a few different clients now (HP Windows, HP Unix, Axel) and this is something I wish to try! I am also planning to stress test the different server configurations (Dual Xeons, Dual Quad Core Xeons) to see what difference that makes.

Should be interesting!

Butuz

ASJ
    Thank Post
    Funnily enough we have just finished a trial on this very subject. We had a citrix 2K3 and 2K8 all running Terminal Services. Every thin client was rubbish with any multimedia file. The only exception to this was a Wyse client. It had a service on it called TCX (for extra for the licence). Once I got it working then it uses another RDP stream to run the multimedia along side. It's pretty good. We are moving towards a VDI solution now as it does give a better end user experience.

HOWEVER, we have been in deep discussions with Thin Clients Solutions - Chip PC Technologies and they have a thin client coming out very soon that does all of this for a fraction of the cost and it's about as big as an IPOD. We had a demo the other day and the multimedia clips were perfect.

So, it can be done, you have to pick and choose your client, but check out chip pc

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ASJ View Post
    Funnily enough we have just finished a trial on this very subject. We had a citrix 2K3 and 2K8 all running Terminal Services. Every thin client was rubbish with any multimedia file. The only exception to this was a Wyse client. It had a service on it called TCX (for extra for the licence). Once I got it working then it uses another RDP stream to run the multimedia along side. It's pretty good. We are moving towards a VDI solution now as it does give a better end user experience.

HOWEVER, we have been in deep discussions with Thin Clients Solutions - Chip PC Technologies and they have a thin client coming out very soon that does all of this for a fraction of the cost and it's about as big as an IPOD. We had a demo the other day and the multimedia clips were perfect.

So, it can be done, you have to pick and choose your client, but check out chip pc
    What clients did you try?

ASJ
    Thank Post
    We tried:

HP

Wyse V10L This is the one with the TCX.

Mid-Range Jack PC Ideal for the boarding houses

Xtreme PC

There was another from Chip, but it isn't on release until July 1st and that beauty is the dogs wobbly bits

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What were they like with flash websites? And what was the server side running?

ASJ
    Thank Post
    What were they like with flash websites? And what was the server side running?
    Well to be frank - rubbish. That was using TS. Using VDI it was a lot better. Suppose that was because it was it's own VM rather than sharing the servers resources.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast