+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Wanted: A really tough test for thin client in Technical; Originally Posted by ASJ Once I got it working then it uses another RDP stream to run the multimedia along ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ASJ View Post
    Once I got it working then it uses another RDP stream to run the multimedia along side. It's pretty good.
    Just out of interest does this have any licensing implications? I'm assuming that most people will use per device licensing, but if a device opens two connections would that still be the same?

Also surely opening up 2 RDP streams puts the server under further strain, so if you usually get 30-40 sessions on one server, would that mean only 15-20 thin clients averaged per server?

ASJ
    Thank Post
    That'swhat the guys at Wyse told me. Here's a link to their web site with the details of their TCX:

Wyse Technology - Wyse TCX

Not sure about the licensing issue either. I do know that you have to buy a separate licence to use TCX otherwise it is just another TS session.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ASJ View Post
    Well to be frank - rubbish. That was using TS. Using VDI it was a lot better. Suppose that was because it was it's own VM rather than sharing the servers resources.
    What spec was the server? It is worrying that flash still has problems with TS...

ASJ
    Thank Post
    It was a HP blade server 4GB RAM. Not sure of the exact spec as it was on trial. We trialled it on 2003 server TS and 2008 server TS.

The BBC web site tended to be out of lip sync and the picture very blocky.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmm... this is why my boss is still scared of going down the thin client route - I am getting a lot of mixed messages regarding Flash. Roughly 50% of our computer usage is via flash sites such as educationcity, gridclub, etc... If these won't work well then it just sounds like thin client isn't suitable for us.

ASJ
    Thank Post
    I think a lot of the problems are wit the vendors of the Thin Clients and Adobe over Flash licensing.

This all works through VDI though. We had an afternoon over at IBM where the set up a VDI session using the Jack PC and whilst the flash off the BBC site wasn't perfect, but it was acceptable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I am getting a lot of mixed messages regarding Flash.
    Our 18 Linux-based thin clients handle Flash just fine (one 2X4-core, 4GB RAM server between them). You could go for a mixed approach - run Linux terminals, but connect accross to a Terminal Services session whenever you wanted to run MS Office or whatever.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Our 18 Linux-based thin clients handle Flash just fine (one 2X4-core, 4GB RAM server between them). You could go for a mixed approach - run Linux terminals, but connect accross to a Terminal Services session whenever you wanted to run MS Office or whatever.
    Our kids are year 5 - 8. We want a nice simple solution.

Thank Post
    The schools we have running Sun Ray on Windows 2003 TS have a more than acceptable flash performance.

We also have Sun Ray running over VPN at kids homes, again the flash performance is more than acceptable.

I aloo have a Middle School where we run 150 LTSP based thin clients and a bulk of their work is done on flash based web sites etc....All works fine.

A lot of this comes down to quality of network and the correct scaling of the server farm to run them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Our kids are year 5 - 8. We want a nice simple solution.
    The children using our thin-client based ICT suite are years 1-7, usability seems to be fine.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Music production software cannot run on thin clients.

Thank Post
    USB peripherals such as scanners, webcams, IAW, etc.. Failing that as all others have said anything using flash or that is likely to be resource intensive.

Thank Post
    @lazerblazer: IMHO you are approaching this wrong. You have asked for which tasks thin clients are not suitable for - obviously the clients will fail the task.

Thin clients are great for everyday tasks - word processing, spreadsheets, web browsing, etc. Flash can be a problem, as can audio, but different technologies can be used - RDP isn't the most efficient protocol by any means.

Peripherals can also be used - for instance scanners work like a dream with Citrix (in fact it's like magic - you have a locally attached scanner and the image appears on the server!!!).

I'm currently creating an autoit script that can be used for load testing - it will open several applications and do some 'stuff' in a loop. By monitoring the server load as an increasing number of connections are made, I should be able to get a better idea of my maximum connection:server ratio.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Music production software cannot run on thin clients.
    Hang on, are we talking about "thin clients" in general or particular implementations? I still reckon one of the best general tests for thin client robustness is going to be running a chess playing program - it's about the one thing that really hammers our Edubuntu server as the chess-playing algorithm sucks up all the available processing time and memory it can.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I dont think the issue was that he isnt wanting to go thin clients provided that they can do the multimedia thing, it's more that the finance isnt there and he is trying to put the supplier off.

Citrix et al. may provide better media / peripheral support but they further increase the costs. A thin client implementation isnt all that cheap at first. There are huge initial outlays.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast