+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Chip pc in Technical; Anyone using these? Opinions? Insight UK - Search: Computers > Thin Clients > "chip pc jack"...
    Thank Post

Chip pc

Thank Post
    Well they look fantastic i wonder what the drawbacks are, a room of them would be great much less for the kids to damage.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I remember a post a while back about these, they seem expensive compared to how much you pay for HP Thin Clients.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They are a superb piece of kit, and the management software for them is even better. Those prices are slightly higher than those I was offered when I looked into them last year. Also, HP thin clients aren't that much cheaper compared to these, but are a lot larger.

One advantage of them is that you can simply mount them in your trunking and have them powered by PoE. They only draw 5W.

Thank Post
    HP thin clients are much cheaper than that. Don't forget that the HP's come up on a buy 2 get one free offer or similar every so often.

I think my last batch worked out at ~£130/140 per TC inc vat.

Standard price is 169 + VAT without offers.

And they are better spec than the socket jobs.

+ They can be mounted on the back of the TFTs.

The HPs draw about 20W though...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    One advantage of them is that you can simply mount them in your trunking and have them powered by PoE. They only draw 5W.
    I was wondering about this - none of the accessories seem to allow for it to be mounted within normal trunking could this be done with the metal plate they provide over a normal trunking backbox?

they are a fair bit cheaper under catalist

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kesomir View Post
    HP thin clients are much cheaper than that. Don't forget that the HP's come up on a buy 2 get one free offer or similar every so often.

I think my last batch worked out at ~£130/140 per TC inc vat.

Standard price is 169 + VAT without offers.

And they are better spec than the socket jobs.

+ They can be mounted on the back of the TFTs.

The HPs draw about 20W though...
    They aren't better specced. The HP t5135 has a Via Eden x86 processor running at 400Mhz. The Chip PC uses a 333Mhz ARM processor, which is a lot more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    I was wondering about this - none of the accessories seem to allow for it to be mounted within normal trunking could this be done with the metal plate they provide over a normal trunking backbox?

they are a fair bit cheaper under catalist
    You'd just use a deep back box in your trunking and use the metal mouting plate with it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    They aren't better specced. The HP t5135 has a Via Eden x86 processor running at 400Mhz. The Chip PC uses a 333Mhz ARM processor, which is a lot more powerful.
    I was referring to the t5735 which have an AMD Geocode NX 1500 processor which is Athlon based and runs at 1GHz. They also ship with 4 times the ram.

I don't have benchmark data on these two cpus however.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was referring to the t5735 which have an AMD Geocode NX 1500 processor which is Athlon based and runs at 1GHz. They also ship with 4 times the ram.

I don't have benchmark data on these two cpus however.
    I which case, it costs the same as a JackPC, and the power supply uses 50W according to HP. Plus, a thin client will very very rarely require that much memory! Also, it isn't a Geocode NX, it is a AMD Sempron 2100+.

Anyway, the point I'm making is that ARM processors are significantly more powerful than x86 processors.

Thank Post
    I think Chippc only support Windows CE, whereas HP support Linux, I would imagine this has a significant impact on performance....

..and most manufacterers, (HP, Wyse, Axel etc) supply management software for free - When I last considered Chippc they charged a lot for their management software.

..and what happens when you want to move a thin-client or one fails when they are embedded in the wall, you gotta call out an electrician....

Seems a really good, unique idea, but not sure how practical in reality....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    one fails when they are embedded in the wall, you gotta call out an electrician....
    I thought they use POE

Thank Post
    apologies - its my 5725 that has the geocode. I have them flashed with the debian 4 build so it displays 5735 on the screens when booting.

They appears to be going for around the 230 mark without offers currently which is a heck of a lot more than I paid for mine in the 3 for 2. I got TC + 19" TFT for roughly £250 a set.

It's still cheaper than the jack ones - albeit not by much and I wouldn't purchase them at that price.

I had a good hunt for benchmarks and couldn't find anything to compare the speed of the machines.

Incidentally, it appears AMD has sold off the Alchemy processors to Raza to go all x86 with their product line.

It's a heck of a shame we never went Risc in desktop machines 10-20 years ago, although I think the move to web delivered applications makes it more possible for such hardware change in the future. The ARM PRoc are much more energy efficient.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nut-ed View Post
    I think Chippc only support Windows CE, whereas HP support Linux, I would imagine this has a significant impact on performance....
    That is true, i don't know about the performance hit though.

..and most manufacterers, (HP, Wyse, Axel etc) supply management software for free - When I last considered Chippc they charged a lot for their management software.
    There management software was superb though, very easy to manage and use in general.

..and what happens when you want to move a thin-client or one fails when they are embedded in the wall, you gotta call out an electrician....
    You don't need an electrician. They have a release button inside them which you activate with a tool that comes with them. Then you just unclip the krone clip and that's it. They run on PoE so there is not a threat to health.

It's a heck of a shame we never went Risc in desktop machines 10-20 years ago, although I think the move to web delivered applications makes it more possible for such hardware change in the future. The ARM PRoc are much more energy efficient.
    Agree 100%.

Thank Post
    Windows CE is really pretty light so i don't think you'll see a performance issue on hardware of that spec.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    They always have looked cool, what other fan less thin clients are there?

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread