+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Thin client basic question in Technical; Originally Posted by cookie_monster @ CyberNerd: so are you saying that with the Axel box that all of our Citrix ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    @ CyberNerd: so are you saying that with the Axel box that all of our Citrix boxes would have to be identical and we couldn't have one hosting a different application?
    I guess you could publish an app and run it in TS desktop session, but then you would be running a TS session from a TS session, it's not ideal.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well you can, but you have to separate things out. You have 'Farm A' which consists of identically configured servers that have published desktops. Then you have 'Farm B' that has all the extra software setup as published applications. You then load the PNAgent on your 'Farm A' Desktops and hey presto, they can get to the extra applications.

Thank Post
    Are 'farms' containers as far as the software is concerned so you could have a 'farm' of one server (Farm B) hosting a particular application that's different to the rest?

Not long now untill we get our new Citrix toys so i'll be able to have a play, we'll be getting 12 HP boxes to start but the Axle devices look interesting for the future.

Thank Post
    If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me - I am not an Citrix administrator and I am sure some of you out there are far more knowledgable than me on the Citrix server side...

If running published applications and load balancing, which are the two main reasons for spending all that money on Citrix, when the ICA request comes from the client (whatever type it is) and whatever the application, the load balancing mechanism will connect that user to the server least used. ie if you had 5 servers in your farm, the incoming connection could connect to any of them. Citrix decides which server to connect to based on the balancing critera you have set. So for this to work you would clearly need to have the applications installed on all the servers.

The Citrix Desktop IS 100% equivalent to a published application so treated same as any other published application.

If you just want to attach to one application installed on one server you are probably better off saving your money and using Terminal Services which can do this very well. (IE by definition this is not using load balancing or pub apps)

The above applies to all ICA clients - whatever the hardware based on...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A farm is just a logical grouping of servers. Once servers are in a farm, it's easy to synchronise their settings as you set configuration at the farm level, rather than per server.

6. Thanks to Geoff from:

cookie_monster (9th May 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12