+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, TS External Connector License? in Technical; Storage Server is but WUDSS is supposed to be much better. Anyway i was more talking about the existence of ...
    Thank Post
    Storage Server is but WUDSS is supposed to be much better.

Anyway i was more talking about the existence of a Linux compatible RDP client written by MS.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    rdesktop works just fine with 2k8 terminal server here.

Thank Post
    I'm really not talking on a tecnical level i'm more talking about the fact that MS are slowley bringing in foss compatibility into their products, some of this work is being done behind closed doors (in a just in case sort of way) but you can see evidence of it going on.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes I know, it's called Embrace, extend and extinguish. A tried and tested Microsoft battleplan when faced with opponents they cannot buy out (previous victims: various Web Standards, Kerberos, LDAP, IM, TCP/IP, Java, Web Browser Plugins, ODF, SPF).

Thank Post
    Yes i'm well aware of it. Stop being so argumentative it's really not necessary I was merely pointing out this hidden technology, I just find it interesting trying to predict where MS will go next and as I said I think MS see TS as being a key product.

But i will ask when did they try to get rid of TCP/IP, i thought it was a well established standard that they embraced. It was hardly as if they had anywhere near a competing product with NetBEUI :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just find it interesting trying to predict where MS will go next and as I said I think MS see TS as being a key product.
    MS are hardly a new entrant in the Terminal Services space, it's been in there since NT4 IIRC. Also be aware that TS is wrapped up with Virtualisation, something else MS ignored. Watching them scramble about in the face of VMwares market dominance is rather amusing though. The main issue MS have is the dent in their OS revenue by the 3/4/5 year upgrade cycle disappearing as everyone replaces their desktop PCs with thin clients running an embedded OS/Linux/etc.

While we're on the subject, another area where they are currently floundering around is in the ultra light laptop space (Ause eeePC, RM One, OLPC, etc.) where it looks like Linux is going to eat them for lunch unless they hack XP to bits so it runs on these devices and carry on supporting it for ages.

But i will ask when did they try to get rid of TCP/IP, i thought it was a well established standard that they embraced. It was hardly as if they had anywhere near a competing product with NetBEUI :-)
    They never tried to 'get rid' of it, however they are forever tinkering with it and breaking it under the guise of security or performance. An infamous example would be the removal of raw sockets in XP SP2.

IanG on Tap: Raw Sockets Gone in XP SP2

Thank Post
    Yes i remember the sudden dissapearence of RAW sockets in SP2 :-)

I also remember the NT4 Terminal Server edition which was pretty poor but at least they embraced that early. IBM told the OS2 team to get lost when they suggested the idea so the team left and approached MS who gave them access to the OS2 - i mean NT3.1 source code. Of course that became Citrix and MS realised it was a good idea and released NT4 TS edition.

On the ultra light laptop space, that's exactly why XP suddenly has a new lease of life i suspect.

They tinker with Kerberos as well but it's still essentially Kerberos just it's a smidge undocumented as per usual.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 12th May 2008 at 02:00 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345