+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, TS External Connector License? in Technical; you can't be serious, MS's latest TS offering requires vista or XPSP3 for TS - That could change 'very' quickly, ...
    Thank Post
    you can't be serious, MS's latest TS offering requires vista or XPSP3 for TS -
    That could change 'very' quickly, i'm talking future battle lines here. There really isn't anyhing to stop MS almost giving away XP embedded on TS devices, or even embracing Linux in this scenario and supplying a Linux version of RDP (they already have one trust me). Microsofts knows that one day Linux will be 'here' but in the mean time they'll just slow it down and keep raking in the profits.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that platform independent apps is the key, Mono maybe?

Thank Post
    So at the moment we can't decide what the difference is between Windows External Connector Licence and a TS External Connector Licence or if you need both or just one.

Right?

---------------------------------

Ah right i think it's either:

Yes, the Windows External Connector and Terminal Server Expternal Connector licenses are to be used for non-employees connecting from the Internet. It can't legally be used for employees.
    As students aren't employees you need an external connector apparently.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 6th May 2008 at 03:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Probably be cheaper then to buy TS User CALs instead one for every Student and Staff Member! From what I've heard you would need an external connector license for each server you access 10 TS servers 10 External Connectors!

Wes

Thank Post
    As students aren't staff the CAL's don't apply so i think they need the external connector, if you limit incoming connections to one server then we should only need one.

I'm hoping.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    See this is the problem talking to Microsoft. They said Per user CALs would be fine for students and teachers!

Wes

Thank Post
    One of my customers has just spoken to M$ and got another different answer.

This is getting silly !!!!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    As students aren't staff the CAL's don't apply so i think they need the external connector, if you limit incoming connections to one server then we should only need one.

I'm hoping.
    CALs do apply.

You can use an external connector for students, you can't for Staff
    You can have free external connectors from Microsoft with select and schools agreement, this free one is not for use by students or staff!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...connector.mspx

You need an external connector for each microsoft server that the students access from outside, you need a Terminal services connector for each TS server they access. This would not need client license for students.

If you license all students and staff with CALs and no other external users access the server then you do not need any external connector licenses.

Thank Post
    CALs do apply
    Yes i'm ok with the staff licencing it's this odd students aren't staff issue that's causing confusion. You would think that will the millions of students around the world using this product that they would be more clear on the issue or just offer a specific licence model.

If you license all students and staff with CALs and no other external users access the server then you do not need any external connector licenses.
    I've had it spelled out to me that students are not staff and so CAL's cannot apply to them. They are treated the same as if members of the public (which legally they are that's how you get aroung carp toilet facilities in most schools) are connecting to a company server which requires an external connector licence.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 7th May 2008 at 09:52 AM.

Thank Post
    I spoke to one of my suppliers about this as i am hopeing to go down this route in the summer, his answer is below.

If you install office 2003 and open office on the TS server with a note saying only use office if you have a valid copy of office on your home machine as then moves the onus from us to them. You are offering the alternative so you should be covered.

Thank Post
    Yes i was told that if you tell staff that they can't use Office unless they have an 'applicable' Office licence at home and make them sign a usage agreement you should be ok. I still think that this is 'bending' the rules at best.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    I spoke to one of my suppliers about this as i am hopeing to go down this route in the summer, his answer is below.
    Why? They are using *your* copy of office without a license and you *know* that they don't have one?

Thank Post
    Yes i'm ok with the staff licencing it's this odd students aren't staff issue that's causing confusion. You would think that will the millions of students around the world using this product that they would be more clear on the issue or just offer a specific licence model.

I've had it spelled out to me that students are not staff and so CAL's cannot apply to them. They are treated the same as if members of the public (which legally they are that's how you get aroung carp toilet facilities in most schools) are connecting to a company server which requires an external connector licence.
    http://www.microsoft.com/education/serveraccess.mspx

Read the letter, it talks about getting sufficient CALs for students and staff for the free connector. This page/faq is the most confusing of them all though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Why? They are using *your* copy of office without a license and you *know* that they don't have one?
    I know i thought it was strange but he said that M$ are happy with that!!

Thank Post
    From what I've read this is my interpretation.

For on site use get Device CALs. For staff external use you need additional user CALs for the app/server.

For student on site use then they are covered by the device CALs, for external use they are covered if you buy the external connectors.

If you want office you are screwed. Office 2007 will only install on TS with the enterprise edition, and ALL licenses must be of the same type. You can't license students with vol license afaik (there are some other licensing schemes). So for Office 2007 it seems to be impossible to legally license students to use it via TS.

Thank Post

I have CALs at home, my family aren't employees. A cal is a client license, nothing more. I am unaware of any restriction on what classifies as a client.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast