+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, TS External Connector License? in Technical; That's not what i was told this was specifically for external connections which is why i wanted clarification. If each ...
    Thank Post
    That's not what i was told this was specifically for external connections which is why i wanted clarification.

If each student had a copy of office then we wouldn't have an issue right? (but the student version doesn't count)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    That's not what i was told this was specifically for external connections which is why i wanted clarification.

If each student had a copy of office then we wouldn't have an issue right? (but the student version doesn't count)
    yes, if they had a qualifying copy of office for each machine they access the TS from then it would be fine. Student edition may or may not qualify. There's a table somewhere but I can't find the link.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw View Post
    So you have to buy 1000 licenses even when only 500 users will ever access them at any one time? M$ no kidding!
    And you might not even be allowed to use the licenses on home machines... I'm sure that there's a clause that states that the machine being licensed must be owned by the organisation holding the volume license agreement (i.e. they must be school machines).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    yes, if they had a qualifying copy of office for each machine they access the TS from then it would be fine. Student edition may or may not qualify. There's a table somewhere but I can't find the link.
    The student version needs to be office pro 2007 for student to qualify. This then gives rights to access Office pro 2007 and below (including Office 2003)

Thank Post
    Right i've not delt with this area of licencing for a while so i'm sketchy at best. Is a Windows External Connector Licence different to a TS External Connector Licence?

I priced up a Windows External Connector Licence from Pugh (approx 250) and thought we were in bussiness untill someone said i actually need a TS one that cost's much more. (I'm feeling a bit confused, you could take a HND in MS licensing)
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 2nd May 2008 at 09:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Arrrggghhhh

The problem with this is, as a supplier I have spoken to M$ 3 times about this..........

and got 3 different answers..............

The really worrying bit is I spoke to the same guy twice 2 weeks apart and guess what.....again different answer.....

We ended up going to an M$ educational reseller who said do it another way.

I am now back to being confused.

Thank Post
    lol this is the problem i'm talking to two Citrix / TS suppliers and they're telling me different things

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Are any of the resellers or MS licensing 'experts' willing to put anything in writing? I think it would be fair enough to quote a qualified MS licensing expert
    in the event of a school being investigated for license breeches because they would likely look very silly trying to prosecute a school if their own experts say they are licensed.

edit: I assume the companies giving advice actually have the relevant MS qualification

Thank Post
    Tell me about. As Sun Ray and SGD supplies it sucks.

Why you talking to Citrix and not us ????? (tongue nearly in cheek)

Thank Post
    That would be nice wouldn't it. Ms licencing is deliberatly esoteric i'm sure so they can manage to get more money out of you at a later date once you've aready invested to much to back out otherwise they would just have a straight forward requirements list. Grrrrrrrr

"Why you talking to Citrix and not us "

I spoke to a few people and visited a few sites and it seems very good (a bit on the expensive side) but good. We were thinking about 2008 TS but it still doesn't seem to scale well and i just haven't time to investigate 2X. Novus recommended a couple of schools who seemed very impressed with and they seem like a very professional outfit.

Tell me a bit about your offerings linescanner, if you have any. No rush i'm off now.

We'll be looking at a 15 client system for the Library just to trial basic apps, Office, IE and a few others with an eye to expanding next year (if we like it, which from what i've seem we will) to a few classrooms and external access for SIMS.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 2nd May 2008 at 10:09 PM.

Thank Post
    That would be nice wouldn't it. Ms licencing is deliberatly esoteric i'm sure so they can manage to get more money out of you at a later date once you've aready invested to much to back out otherwise they would just have a straight forward requirements list. Grrrrrrrr
    Bring on Linux on the Desktop. All this hell goes away

Thank Post
    "Bring on Linux on the Desktop. All this hell goes away"

You never know hopefully, i actually see TS as a product that MS are placing to combat Linux's (possible) dominance of low spec hardware, but we'll see.

Hopefully Ubuntu can start making in roads.

Thank Post
    I would love to see it.

The shift will come when ISVs start writing good edu software that runs cross platform.....and not just web

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    i actually see TS as a product that MS are placing to combat Linux's (possible) dominance of low spec hardware
    you can't be serious, MS's latest TS offering requires vista or XPSP3 for TS - it doesn't compare to the system requirements of the competitors, we're running an entire thin client site on an 9MB OS (which conceivably runs on a p120) .

The shift will come when ISVs start writing good edu software that runs cross platform.....and not just web
    but what incentive do they have - the current situation is that every time MS release a new OS, the vendors get to sell a new version of their software for the latest MS release - or worse - they force an MS upgrade on schools because of incentives from their MS partnership.
    Now if only a govt agency would support Schools specific content development on open source implementations.
    Personally I think the key will be web based resources, particularly VLE resources - some of the commercial offerings are surprisingly interactive already.

Thank Post
    but what incentive do they have - the current situation is that every time MS release a new
    OS, the vendors get to sell a new version of their software for the latest MS release - or worse - they force an MS upgrade on schools because of incentives from their MS partnership.
    Now if only a govt agency would support Schools specific content development on open source implementations.
    Personally I think the key will be web based resources, particularly VLE resources - some of the commercial offerings are surprisingly interactive already.
    Nail and head Sir

not just web based but platform independent apps

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast